Our work is driven by a passionate belief that we all have a responsibility to protect birds and the environment. Bird populations reflect the health of the planet on which our future depends.
The need for an effective bird conservation organisation has never been greater. Climate change, agricultural intensification, expansion of urban areas and transport infrastructure, and over-exploitation of our seas all pose major threats to birds.
The RSPB could not exist without its supporters and members. Whether you join us, give a donation, purchase items from us or undertake voluntary work, your support is vital to the future of birds and the places where they live.
- Over a million members, including over 195,000 youth members.
- A staff of over 1,300 people and almost 18,000 volunteers.
- Resources available for charitable purposes in 2010 was £94.7 million.
- 200 nature reserves covering almost 130,000 hectares, home to 80% of our rarest or most threatened bird species.
- A UK headquarters, three national offices and nine regional offices.
- A local network of 175 local groups and more than 110 youth groups.
- At least 9 volunteers for every paid member of staff.