Facts and figures
The RSPB has:
- Over a million members, including over 195,000 youth members.
- The invaluable support of almost 18,000 volunteers.
- Resources available for charitable purposes in 2010 was £94.7 million.
- 200 nature reserves covering almost 130,000 hectares, home to 80% of our rarest or most threatened bird species.
- A UK headquarters, three national offices and nine regional offices.
- A local network of 175 local groups and more than 110 youth groups.
Volunteers founded the RSPB back in 1889 and remain a vitally important part of the organisation today; there are at least nine volunteers for every paid member of staff.
Volunteers bring unique qualities to the RSPB that we wish to harness to extend our work and do a huge amount for our credibility. It adds to our range of skills, helps stretch our scarce resources and keeps us in touch with grass roots.
We expect our people to encourage, develop and support volunteer involvement in our work.