planets to see Tonight & next few days

Chat

Chat
Say hello to your fellow members or ask questions about this community here
The Tea Rooms

planets to see Tonight & next few days

• Hello everyone.

Saw this morning on Breakfast that we will be able to see 5 planets in our solar system, Mercury will be the first one, when the sun goes down,Jupiter,&, Venus which is a brightest star in the planet

Mars (red star) and Saturn rising around 2130 on the east. All 5 will be travelling through out the sky until Tuesday

• wren

Hello everyone.

Saw this morning on Breakfast that we will be able to see 5 planets in our solar system, Mercury will be the first one, when the sun goes down,Jupiter,&, Venus which is a brightest star in the planet

Mars (red star) and Saturn rising around 2130 on the east. All 5 will be travelling through out the sky until Tuesday

Yes I been following this for some weeks now. Many years ago it was a conjunction  of Jupiter and Venus which sparked my interest in astronomy.

Here is a great picture from (26th February I think). See  APOD for 7 March 2012

There is a great planetarium programme caled Stellarium and best of all it is free.

• @ Thanks Wren :-)

@ Thanks Tiger, I've downloaded Stellarium, it's absolutely superb, can't thank you enough for that link :-)

I've spent years out in the cold watching the sky and an awful lot of time with Google Sky on my phone, and Stellarium is 'out this world' so to speak and 'I'm over the moon'. Recommend everybody downloads it :-)

EDIT: if you put Google Sky on your phone it will show you exactly what is above and below you (yes, it's that good)  etc of exactly where you are at the time in real time, so you will be able to see what stars are there in the sky even in broad daylight, I highly recommend that too, including for computers.

http://www.google.com/sky/

• lol Alan ! You spoil them :-)

• doggie

Heard about it on the radio this morning, i think it means it will now be cloudy for the next few nights.

Tiger thanks for those two links the photo looks amazing, just downloaded Stellarium i like to see the satellites go over so will be handy for those.

There is always over hype on the media as always.

Here is a nice link

• Birdie Wild

@ Thanks Wren :-)

@ Thanks Tiger, I've downloaded Stellarium, it's absolutely superb, can't thank you enough for that link :-)

I've spent years out in the cold watching the sky and an awful lot of time with Google Sky on my phone, and Stellarium is 'out this world' so to speak and 'I'm over the moon'. Recommend everybody downloads it :-)

EDIT: if you put Google Sky on your phone it will show you exactly what is above and below you (yes, it's that good)  etc of exactly where you are at the time in real time, so you will be able to see what stars are there in the sky even in broad daylight, I highly recommend that too, including for computers.

http://www.google.com/sky/

What a way to start the weekend! :)

Thank you.

• Yes exciting right now isn't it :)

Sky watching rather spoiled for me at the moment due to cloud though. Hope to get better views soon.

I love Stellarium and use it all the time (thank you Tiger) and thank you too Birdy Wild for the Google Sky link.

• Now this is what I call a picture of the rising moon

• Wow, what a picture !

• Wow, yes, incredible shot!

• Thanks Tiger, for the link.  

• Lovely photo of the moon Tiger.

I 've just been outside in the garden with OH.  Our back garden faces west, is the planet Venus or Jupiter that I can  see please? And what are the 3 stars in a row? I showed OH will be looking at Google Moon.

• Thanks Alan.  It is lovely to see them so clear.

• Just downloading what Tiger told us, will go out side in between washing up.

• Thank you Alan,

Will that be tonight? having a job with stellarium. I have Google chrome, am I doing something wrong?