Be careful what you wish for........

Chat

Chat
Say hello to your fellow members or ask questions about this community here
The Tea Rooms

Be careful what you wish for........

• Haven't posted anything for a while, but thought I'd relate the exploits in my garden! I am very new to a large garden and have been putting all sorts of provisions in place for the birdies....nest boxes, hawthorn hedging, beech hedging, a meadow area (small!) and then for my delight and delectation a good number of scented climbing roses anad a number of fruit trees.

When we first arrived at the house we had a flock of about 20+ sparrows, which disappeared when my neighbour took a tree down (my assumption) I'm delighted to say that a number of sparrows have started to return to the garden and their chirruping is just terrific.

On the other side, however, I began to find my apple blossom and rose buds stripped on the path! I was baffled for a while. D'oh! Then I realised that my wee briddies were the culprits! :-)

• Hi Snapdragon,

Yep, we win some we lose some with our feathered friends!

Great to hear your sparrows have returned. Fingers crossed they stay. Exactly the same thing happened with mine nearly 2 years ago. They disappeared when a neighbour cut down the tree they roosted in. It took a few months, but back they came!

• Hi Snapdragon, your garden sounds like a piece of Heaven on Earth, both for the birds and for you.

• same here with the sparrows, they were in a spikey tree under my next door neighbours bedroom window next to mine, apparently they woke her up to early and they removed thier tree  :( i do so miss my morning chorus, they have started to return to my feeders in the back yard but no where as many as i used to see. do you have any pictures of this heavenly garden of yours would love to see them we are currently trying to turn our small back garden into a patch of paradise, any tips for planting it really is very small but any tips welcomed. :)

• Thank you for the replies, Sparrow, Birdie Wild and Trisha! Trisha, my previous garden was 20ft so I'd be more than happy to pass any tips I can. I bought a camera today but haven't worked out how to use it yet :-)

Birdie Wild your description was lovely, and I think a paradise garden would be my dream! You do have to squint a bit at certain parts in mine!! I use nothing in the garden so my way of gardening is that if the snails and slugs destroy something (by now, I know their favs usually) then it just doesn't get grown again.

I kind of accepted that for this year the apple trees were given to the birds and I'll step up protection for them next year. That wonderful chirrup that says - sparrows calling! - is my objective in the garden. Seeing them sunbathing on the wall in the eve ning sun is tops (and as long as I don't see them, I can cope with the debris too)

Photos soon, I hope!

• Thank you for the replies, Sparrow, Birdie Wild and Trisha! Trisha, my previous garden was 20ft so I'd be more than happy to pass any tips I can. I bought a camera today but haven't worked out how to use it yet :-)

Birdie Wild your description was lovely, and I think a paradise garden would be my dream! You do have to squint a bit at certain parts in mine!! I use nothing in the garden so my way of gardening is that if the snails and slugs destroy something (by now, I know their favs usually) then it just doesn't get grown again.

I kind of accepted that for this year the apple trees were given to the birds and I'll step up protection for them next year. That wonderful chirrup that says - sparrows calling! - is my objective in the garden. Seeing them sunbathing on the wall in the eve ning sun is tops (and as long as I don't see them, I can cope with the debris too)

Photos soon, I hope!

• Hi Snapdragon, the garden sounds wonderful! Hope your cheeky little sparrows continue to visit, and wish the trees good luck with them! :) Looking forward to photos

• Hi, My garden seems to be void of everything, but dunnocks and Pigeon,Black Birds. Oh did see Greenfinchs yesterday. I have been told to put out just sunflower seeds, this will really bring other birds in, including Goldfinch. I have a Pigeon nest just by our front door. I have seen one baby, its sooooo cute. I also have dunnocks nesting, out back.

Just got back from walking down The River Wey and heard a Reed Warbler, YES i recognised their calls, thats one more i have learned, but its hard work for me to remember all calls.

I would also love to see pics of your back garden.

• The instructions are read and the battery charging. Think I may have built the garden up too much.....:-0

And I can't photo any apple blossoms or fruit ....because there aren't any!!

Amber70, I use the sunflower hearts and they disappear at a rate of knots. The birds often just grab a heart and then take it up in the trees and bushes to enjoy in peace! No mess either with sunflower hearts.

Pictures on way. I hope!