Random bird thread

Chat

Chat
Say hello to your fellow members or ask questions about this community here
The Tea Rooms

Random bird thread

• Just had a look at my photo library, and I now have photos of 264 bird species. Which is more than I realised. So if anyone's up for it, pick a number between 1 and 264 (files are arranged alphabetically, so 1 will be a species beginning with A and 264 will be a Y, I don't have any Zs) and I'll post my best (or only) photo of that bird and provide a random fact about it. Any takers?

• bob's_retired_now

93 please.

93 = Great Northern Diver. Only 3 photos of this species, all a bit rubbish, all the same individual, taken in Scotland. It's known as the Common Loon in North America, because of its weird, loud call.

• 22  (two little ducks)  please  lol !        or..........

222   (three little ducks)   

• can I have No: Kestrel please???

• doggie

I wanted to see a Zebra Finch lol.

I'll go for 27

27 - Black-tailed Godwit. Loads of photos, mainly autumn/winter birds photographed around Kent. At 340 grams, the average female Blackwit is 60 grams heavier than the average male.

• doggie

WendyBartter
    can I have No: Kestrel please???

That's a surprise lol.

ha ha - can't help liking kestrels can I???

• Go for my age 21 (I sometimes tell porkies LOL) or for real 69

• Number 44, please?

• HAZY

22  (two little ducks)  please  lol !        or..........

222   (three little ducks)   

22 - Black-chested Buzzard-eagle! As you can see, this is not a wild bird. It was photographed at the Shuttleworth collection. The species is also known as the Chilean Blue Eagle, which gives you a clue where it comes from, but is more closely related to our native Buzzard than either of our eagles.

222 - Spotted Flycatcher. Only four photos of this species, three of them taken at RSPB Dungeness. This lovely bird has declined by 87% in the UK since 1970 :(

• WendyBartter

can I have No: Kestrel please???

LOL :) Got loads of Kestrel photos from all over the place, but this one is my favourite, taken just up the road in Knole Park. Kestrels can see the UV light reflected from vole urine, which enables them to spot active vole runs on the ground below. It's number 123, by the way.

• Awwww thanks for that Aiki, most interesting and I love all the photos and facts you are posting  :)   That spotted Flycatcher is gorgeous, pity they are in decline :(

• That's spot on Aiki,probably the best Kestrel shot I have seen.

• Seaman

Go for my age 21 (I sometimes tell porkies LOL) or for real 69

21 - Black-necked Swan. This isn't wild, it's part of the collection at London WWT. The Black-necked Swan is South America's only swan species, and is the largest wildfowl species on that continent.

69 - Dartford Warbler. Got a few photos from Dunwich Heath (next door to RSPB Minsmere) and a few more from southern Spain. The Dartie has a global conservation status of Near Threatened because of declines in southern Europe. In 1961-1963 its UK population went from 450 pairs to 10 pairs as a result of very cold winters.

• Limpy

Number 44, please?

44 - Chiffchaff. This one was photographed in Spain - none of my pics of this species from the UK are up to much. The Germans give this bird an onomatopoeic name for its song too, but to them it is 'Zilpzalp'.

• Thank you, Aiki, that's a lovely photo of a dear little bird.