Jackdaws in Chimney

Chat

Chat
Say hello to your fellow members or ask questions about this community here
Hello!

Jackdaws in Chimney

• hi, I'm looking for some advice, each year I have jackdaws nesting in my chimney which I don't use. I'm planning on getting it swept out and then getting caps put on the chimney pots to seal them as I'm getting water ingress into my house from it. But before I do that I want to check, is it possible they will have nested and have eggs or young there yet? Obviously I don't want to do anything which will harm the eggs or young birds so not sure if its early enough that I can do it before they lay eggs or have I left it too late? If its too late, when will the young leave the nest so I be able to clear the chimneys? I thought I heard chicks this morning but it may have been coming from somewhere else... Thanks for your help
  • Hi Weegiebird, I think it's a bit early to have jackdaws nesting but it could be another bird, possibly an owl, I saw a photo of rescued tawny owl chick the other day. The best thing to do would be to stand at a distance & see if you can see birds going in & out with food or sticks or anything. If it's an owl it may be more difficult to spot, do you have a local RSPB group who may be able to come out & advise you.

• hi Hazel, thanks for your reply.  I'm pretty sure its not an owl, I saw jackdaws up on the roof/chimney last week but didn't notice if they were carrying food or sticks, I'll keep checking over the next few days though to see what they're up to.  Would they have laid eggs by now do you know?  If they're only starting to nest and haven't laid eggs, is it advisable to leave them to it or if I got the chimney swept would they have time to go and nest somewhere else in time for nesting?  

• hi Alan,

I'm in central scotland on the west coast, I think I should maybe err on the side of caution then and do as you suggest and leave them til later in the year.  Do you know when the earliest would be that I could get the chimney cleared?  

thanks

• great thanks a lot! appreciate the help :-)