We sailed to the south, and the sea is very agitated and I'm worried because maybe we won't set today. A day without working means one more day at the sea, which makes the fishermen upset. But I carry on testing different techniques to help save albatrosses.
The fishing productivity was not so good, lots of seabirds around... many sea turtles and rays captured. We recovered a piece of the tori line that broke during the last setting. I think that we must improve and do some corrections at the cables used at the FV Camburi to avoid the entanglement... The angle in relation with the water line is less than 45º and the height of the cable is smaller because of this. The Skipper agreed to make a simple change.
Beaufort scale 5: I think that we won't set the longline. Everything depends on the weather.
However - yes, the skipper decided to set the longline and and so we use a pair of tori lines. The weather is pretty bad, but if we must test, let's test...
At the very beginning of the set, one of the tori line cables became entangled with the main line of longline and broke, losing 50 % of its length.
The good news that the tori line's cable easily broke, and, for my relief, it didn't cause any damage to the main longline.