For the last couple of years I have had a problem with my bird bath. The water keeps turning red. I am assuming this is red algae but can anyone tell me a safe way to stop it happening and also whether it is harmful to the birds?
Have a look here uk.answers.yahoo.com/.../index
No real way of stopping it. I use a stiff scrubbing brush when I clean out the water and that keeps it in check. My bath is a similar age and construction to yours.
Hi Alasdair, my bird bath is made of plastic and is green, but when I clean my bird bath a do have a green like algae on the bath itself, which I scrub off. Is your algae in the water itself?
Thanks for your reply. My bird bath is concrete and is over 30 years old. The algae only grows under the water. I have occassionally let the bath totally dry out and the dried algae just falls out therefore I am assuming it is not growing from the bath itself but in the water itself.
Thanks everyone who answered I now feel confident that the birds that visit me are safe.