St Aidan’s is not yet an RSPB site, and is currently owned and managed by Harworth Estates (formerly of UK Coal).
Due to a number of issues around land ownership, the car park and visitor centre at St Aidan's are currently closed. Harworth Estates is working with Leeds City Council to resolve the outstanding issues, and once this happens ownership of the site will transfer to LCC. LCC will then lease St Aidan’s to the RSPB and we will take on full management of the site. We will then re-open the car park and visitor centre and have staff and volunteers on site.
In the meantime, we will continue to carry out some habitat management work to ensure the site remains in a good condition for wildlife, until the legal issues are resolved.
St Aidan’s remains open for public access.
Top things to do in Spring
- Go for a stroll through the woodlands and enjoy the early spring flowers and calls of woodland birds
- Listen out for the deep booming call of courting bitterns in the reedbeds
- Enjoy the spectacle of wildflowers growing in the grasslands and the bees and butterflies that visit them
Top things to do in Summer
- Look out for brightly-coloured dragonflies patrolling the lakes and ponds
- Sit on the hillside and enjoy a picnic whilst taking in the stunning landscape
- Keep an eye out for chicks and ducklings around the water's edge as they explore
Top things to do in Autumn
- Enjoy the changes in colour as trees turn golden-brown and shed their leaves
- Get your bike out and hit the trails!
- Look out for visiting birds from around the world
Top things to do in Winter
- Bring your camera to capture the beauty of a Yorkshire winter
- Spot birds of prey hunting for food
- Warm up with a cuppa in the visitor centre after a wild winter walk
We haven't got any events planned here at the moment. Check out our main events pages to find something up your street (or at least quite near to it).