Privacy and cookies policy
This statement applies to:
- The RSPB, registered charity in England and Wales 207076, in Scotland SC037654, The Lodge, Sandy, Bedfordshire SG19 2DL
- RSPB Sales Limited, registered company number 2693778, The Lodge, Sandy, Bedfordshire SG19 2DL
The RSPB and RSPB Sales Limited are registered as data controllers with the Information Commissioner for the United Kingdom.
We are committed to protecting your privacy and security. Whenever you provide personal information, we will treat that information in accordance with this policy, current UK Data Protection legislation and Internet best practice.
You can use most of the features of this site without disclosing any personal information. A few optional features of this site, such as membership enrolment forms, ask you to provide some personal information (eg. name and address, e-mail address).
We will analyse information provided by you in order to determine which communications are most effective, and help us to reduce our administration cost and increase the funds available for conservation. If we wish to use your personal information for an additional purpose, we will always ask you to agree at the point of collection.
If you have already supplied us with personal information, you can change your instructions at any time by contacting Supporter Services on 01767 693680 or writing to Supporter Services, The RSPB, The Lodge, Sandy, Bedfordshire SG19 2DL.
Uses of personal data
The RSPB and RSPB Sales Ltd will use your details for:
- Administering your membership
- Communications about conservation and campaigns
- Marketing purposes
- Fulfilment of orders for goods and services
- Administration of donations and legacies
- Customer satisfaction surveys
- In-house research and analysis
Disclosure of data
Where other companies are used to capture data or undertake fulfilment services on our behalf, these activities are carried out under contract in compliance with the Data Protection Act requirements.
We respect your privacy and will not sell your personal data to any third party.
The RSPB and RSPB Sales Ltd will use your details to tell you about our conservation and fundraising; to run your membership; to conduct analysis and to contact you for research purposes. If you do not wish to receive marketing information in the following ways, please tick the relevant box:
[ ] Mail [ ] Telephone [ ] E-mail [ ] Text
By submitting this registration form, you will be indicating your consent to receiving marketing messages from us UNLESS you have indicated an objection to receiving such messages by ticking the appropriate box.
Users aged under 18
If you are aged under 18, please ensure you obtain your parent/guardian's consent before sending any personal information to this website. Please note that the RSPB will not accept online donations or orders for goods or services from persons aged under 18 years.
Parents and guardians
We encourage you to be aware of the activities in which your children are participating in both offline and online, particularly with regard to third party websites. If your children voluntarily disclose information, this may encourage unsolicited messages. We suggest that you discourage your child from providing any information without your consent.
Access to your own information
You can contact us anytime by letter or telephone to change or update your details, or obtain a copy of your record.
If you have any problems or queries about your data, please contact Supporter Services, RSPB, The Lodge, Sandy, Bedfordshire SG19 2DL or telephone 01767 693680.
Cookies and tracking
Some bits of our site rely on cookies, but we'll tell you where and when. Most browsers will allow you to control how cookies are handled, whether they are accepted and how long they are stored for. All browsers do this differently, but if you're concerned about privacy and security then please have a look in the 'help' documentation for your particular browser.
We also make use of some simple image files provided by suppliers, such as DoubleClick and Google Analytics, to help measure the usage of our site, show relevant advertising and track the results of our advertising on third party websites. They are tiny and transparent, so they can't be seen, and won't make any noticeable difference to your experience, nor do they give away any personal data.
You may notice some third party cookies not related to RSPB when you visit a page, the RSPB does not control these cookies and we recommend you check the third party websites for more information.
The type of cookies used and their purpose is explained further:
- Community Server cookies and authorization cookie are required for the provision of the community website and to provide security.
- Personalisation module is required to provide the personalised service.
- Google analytic cookies are used to collect information about how visitors, like yourself, use our website. This information is collected in an anonymous form and is used to inform us how the site can be improved.
- Magento ecommerce, RSPB Images and affiliate future cookies are necessary as these enable you to make purchases, from areas such as the RSPB online shop, purchasing of memberships and images through the relevant websites.
- Online advertising and network cookies are used to track when you have clicked on an advert, to see what pages of the website are used and this provides insight as to how improvements can be made. We also have relationships with carefully-selected advertising partners who may also set cookies during your visit to allow them to serve online advertising that we believe will be of interest to you based on information about your visit to this and other websites (this is called re-targeting). This information is anonymous and does not include personal data. For more information about this type of online behavioural advertising and about how to turn this feature off, please visit www.youronlinechoices.co.uk.
A list of the main cookies the RSPB uses can be found here.
Further information about cookies including how to manage and delete them can be found at www.allaboutcookies.org.
All RSPB forms which request credit card or bank details use the SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) protocol for encryption. Most browsers (Microsoft Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, etc) support SSL. The link between your browser and the server is secure if your browser displays a small padlock or key symbol somewhere in the frame, or the address bar shows a web address beginning https:// (rather than http://).
Links to third party websites
The RSPB website contains hyperlinks to many other websites. This information is supplied in good faith, in case it is of interest, or use, to RSPB website users. The RSPB is not responsible for the content or functionality of any of these external websites – but please let us know if a link is not working (use the 'Contact us' link which can be found at the top of every page). Visitors to the RSPB website should be aware of the following:
In purchasing goods or services from any of the companies to which the RSPB site links, you are forming a contract with the company(s) concerned (agreeing to their terms and conditions), not the RSPB.
We are currently updating our systems and processes, if you have any queries regarding this policy please contact Supporter Services, tel: 01767 693680.