Nature Reserve Guide
Pagham Harbour Nature Reserve
Why we want you
RSPB Pagham Harbour is an expansive nature reserve, with far flung, well walked paths and trails. We already have a welcoming presence in our visitor centre, but we'd like to extend this to the reserve itself. This is where you come in!
We'd be looking for you to welcome visitors as they make their way around the reserve, tell them more about the conservation work we do and what birds and wildlife they can expect to see. Essentially it's about sharing your enthusiasm with others so our visitors go away feeling inspiring about nature and already planning their next visit!
We'd also ask you to be our eyes and ears on the nature reserve, bringing any issues to the attention of staff (e.g. dog fouling, littering, maintenance) so that they can be addressed promptly.
The role includes:
- Manning bird hides, viewpoints with the purpose of interacting with visitors.
- Occasionally supporting staff on guided walks
- Noting and reporting on the condition of hides and trails, and other issues such as dog fouling.
- Liaising with staff to ensure adequate coverage of the paths and trails.
- Working to the RSPB's lone working procedures
to ensure your wellbeing.
- Carrying out occasional visitor surveys.
What’s in it for you?
An opportunity to enthuse others about birds, wildlife and nature whilst enjoying spending time outdoors in our spectacular reserve. Improving your own knowledge in birds and learning more about the work of the RSPB. You'll be part of a fun, friendly team.
You'll be making a big contribution to the work of the RSPB, and the Nature Reserve
The skills you need
- Outgoing and friendly with great enthusiasm for nature, Pagham Harbour and the RSPB.
- Happy to spend periods of time outdoors,
- Confident speaking to the public.
- A smart personal appearance
- Basic bird identification skills and a willingness to learn more about the wildlife of the Reserve.
- Able to walk comfortably along footpaths and trails.
- Able to work as part of a small team.
- An interest in the work of a Nature Reserve
- Familiarity with the nature reserve and its wildlife
Minimum commitment: One day per month. We are particularly keen to have helpers out and about at the Reserve during school holidays and at weekends.
Period: All year round
Who to contact
Tel: 01243 641508 Visitor Centre/01243 641632 Educ.Ctr
Initial and ongoing support provided:
- A full induction with the Wardens before starting in role, which covers health and safety, general introduction to the reserve, relevant procedures etc
- A chance to shadow experienced volunteer/staff in order to build confidence
- An invite to our annual volunteer social at the reserve - a chance to meet the team, other Pagham Harbour volunteers, and for staff to say a big 'thank you'!
- The RSPB would reimburse you for all out- of- pocket expenses, invite you to volunteer thank you events, send you copies of our bi-annual volunteer newsletter, and give you ongoing support in your role.
The RSPB works for a healthy environment rich in birds and wildlife. It relies on the support and generosity of volunteers to make a difference. The RSPB is the UK Partner of the global federation of conservation organisations, Bird Life International.
Reference number: 2376