Public events assistant - New Forest 'Date with Nature'
Why we want you
The RSPBs 'Date with Nature' events are many people's first encounter with the RSPB, so offer the perfect platform to tell them about our work and inspire them about birds, wildlife and conservation. We cannot run these events without volunteers, they are crucial the project's success!
Our 'Date with Nature' in the New Forest a partnership between the RSPB, New Forest National Park Authority, Forestry Commission and Carnyx Wild. The project aims to inspire the public about birds of prey.
Visitors are encouraged to view the live webcam, set up in the Reptile Centre, which features New Forest birds of prey on the nest, usually starting the season with a Goshawk. There is also the opportunity to show families items from the "nature basket" and to help people view birds on the feeder via the telescope
Your role is public events assistant will involve:
- Welcoming visitors and chatting to them about the nesting birds, generally Goshawks and also about the ground nesting birds which are found generally in the New Forest.
- Answering any queries visitors might have about the birds, linking to the work of the RSPB in general and how important it is. Staff members or other volunteers are always there to back you up if you're not sure about any particular query.
- Promoting the conservation work that's carried out in the New Forest by the Forestry Commission and the New Forest National Park Authority.
- Asking visitors to sign the visitor book before they leave.
You would need to be able to attend a volunteer training event at a venue in Lyndhurst before the project starts for a full briefing about the project and the work of the RSPB. Teas/coffees and sandwiches will be provided!
What’s in it for you?
This is a great opportunity to really make a difference to the RSPB's work! A great chance too to meet new people, not only the small friendly team of staff and volunteers, but the great British public too!
We'd give you a valuable insight into the work of the RSPB, an active and exciting conservation charity, the largest in Europe!
The skills you need
We're looking for volunteers with great people skills to inspire people about birds, nature and wildlife at our 'Date with Nature' event at the Reptile Centre in the New Forest.
An important requirement of this role is therefore to feel comfortable and confident chatting to members of the public.
Other essential skills include:
- Approachable and friendly
- Enthusiastic, with an ability to engage well with people
- A genuine interest in birds, wildlife and nature conservation
- Reliable and able to commit to working full days in advance on a rota
- Able to travel to the New Forest Reptile Centre (travel expenses are reimbursed)
- Able to work the occasional weekend
Importantly you DON'T have to be a bird expert as fact sheets will be provided!
Other desirable skills include:
- Knowledge of the work of the RSPB, however this isn't essential as full training will be given before starting in role
Minimum commitment: 2 or more days per month
Duration: 3-5 months
Period: End of March to end of August 2015
Who to contact
Tel: 07703 607375
We reimburse you for all out- of- pocket expenses, invite you to volunteer thank you events, send you copies of our bi-annual volunteer newsletter, and of course give you ongoing support in your role.
Help us to Give Nature A Home.
Reference number: 3082