Community Fundraising Area Co-ordinator (Pin Badge Box/Collecting Box Scheme) - Scotland
SHQ, Public Affairs & Marketing
Why we want you
The RSPB needs Area Coordinators to manage teams of around 10-20 volunteers, responsible for the day to day servicing of their pin badge boxes. Pin badges raise vital funds to support the ongoing costs of nature conservation. By building a large network of volunteers, we can raise hundreds of thousands of pounds. It is impossible for us to manage all these Pin Badge Minders on a one-to-one basis. We need Area Coordinators to manage these teams so that they receive the level of support they deserve for their hard work.
Assistance with this work will in turn help to generate more income for the conservation projects across Scotland.
The main areas of work will include:
- Interviewing and inducting pin badge box volunteers
- Management and support of team, motivating and enthusing volunteers who will each manage around 10-20 boxes each
- The location of new sites and placement of boxes
- Ordering and distribution of stock
- Collating income reports and sending to the Community Fundraising team on a monthly basis
Other possible duties
- To promote Community Fundraising events and activities to RSPB staff, RSPB members, RSPB volunteers and the general public
- Assisting the Community Fundraising team to organising volunteer events and meetings.
- Generating local pin badge fundraising stories which can be sent to your local press and community
What’s in it for you?
You will be instrumental in helping the RSPB raise large sums of unrestricted funds to assist conservation work in Scotland, you will have the opportunity to meet RSPB staff and volunteers and share your enthusiasm for the RSPB. As ambassador of the RSPB in your own community, you will have the satisfaction of running your own scheme, with the full support of your Community Fundraising Team.
You'll gain valuable work experience in community fundraising, develop new skills and learn how one of Europe's largest conservation charities is run. This role offers you the excellent opportunity to gain first hand experience of project and people management with constant in-house support and training provided. It is also a great chance to learn about the diverse work that the RSPB does.
Your regional contact will regularly meet with you to give advice, support and help you to grow your scheme. By organising volunteers to place and monitor boxes in shops and busy locations near you, your team could raise as much as £20,000 every year.
The skills you need
Community Fundraising is a growing area within The RSPB, bringing in unrestricted income for the charity by working with local communities.
In Scotland our Community Fundraising Team generates income by recruiting and managing fundraising volunteers, raising awareness of the RSPB to local community groups, and interacting with the general public at local events. We're looking for an individual with the following skills/experience:
- Experience of working with volunteers, or as a volunteer
- Experience of working as part of a team
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills
- Experience of planning own time and using initiative
- Ability to motivate others
- Ability to work alone and as part of a team - 1-2 days per month
- Good MS Word and Excel skills
- Interest in Community Fundraising and conservation
- Keen to travel to meet the requirements of the post
- Good of general knowledge of your local area
Minimum commitment: 1-2 days per month, hours to suit you-home based.
Period: All year round
Who to contact
Tel: 0131 317 4174
No knowledge of birds required!
We would reimburse you for all out- of- pocket expenses, including travel expenses and stationery. We will invite you to volunteer thank you events, send you copies of our bi-annual volunteer newsletter, and of course give you ongoing support in your role. Travel expenses include all travel on behalf of the RSPB and up to 25 miles travel to and from work (26p per mile).
Training and support around volunteer management, admin and database procedures will be provided throughout your time with us.
The RSPB speaks out for birds and wildlife, tackling the problems that threaten our environment. We rely upon memberships and donations to fund our work. By volunteering your time and skills, you could make a real difference to the work of the RSPB. Nature is amazing - help us keep it that way.
Reference number: 6365