Feral pigeon deterrents
There are simple steps that you can take to help deter feral pigeons from visiting your garden.
- Preventing access to food is a key to dispersing pigeons.
- When feeding smaller birds, cage in all food so that pigeons cannot reach it. Maximum effective mesh size will be 2.5 inches. Pigeon-proof feeders are commercially available.
- Netting can prevent pigeons accessing recesses, buildings etc.
- Ledges can be protected by fitting specially designed spike strips or metal coil, or converting the ledge to a slope.
- Be careful with your choice of deterrent. Those designed for use on agricultural land are unlikely to be suited to urban or suburban context.
- Any audible deterrent will not be pigeon specific, but is just as likely to scare any bird within its effective range. Furthermore, it may become a serious nuisance to your neighbours.