Pagham Harbour and Medmerry
Managing Pagham Harbour
In February 2012, the RSPB took on the day-to-day management of Pagham Harbour Local Nature Reserve from West Sussex County Council.
The RSPB is running this much-loved and internationally-important site under a Service Level Agreement with the Council.
West Sussex County Council had managed Pagham Harbour as a Local Nature Reserve since 1964.However, given the unprecedented pressure on public finances, the Council felt that there were organisations better placed to manage the Local Nature Reserve to ensure its sustainable future.
After exploring all the possibilities, the Council asked the RSPB to enter a partnering Service Level Agreement (SLA), under which the Council has an executive role and will guarantee an annual payment for 10 years to help support the service.
The SLA is managed by an RSPB/WSCC Contract Management Committee and minutes from the Committee meetings are posted here.
These project pages also report on the Pagham Harbour Local Communities Forum meetings, as set up under the SLA.
- Securing a sustainable future for Pagham Harbour Local Nature Reserve.
- Protecting and, where possible, enhancing the environmental and historic interest in the site.
- Maintaining and improving public access and visitor facilities.
- Delivering a programme of quality environmental education.
Key dates so far
- 2 Feb 2012: The RSPB takes on the day-to-day management of core areas of Pagham Harbour LNR
- 29 Jun 2012: Pagham Harbour Local Communities Forum
- 29 Nov 2012: Pagham Harbour Local Communities Forum
- 1 April 2013: New five-year Management Plan start date
- 15 July 2013: Pagham Harbour Local Communities Forum
Work planned or underway
Development of the new 5-year Management Plan (2013-18)
Who to contact
West Sussex County Council