Top things to do in Spring
- Follow the reserve path to the sea and experience the wonderful open landscape
- Sit on the bench at the visitor centre and listen to the distinctive rasping corncrakes
- Watch lapwings and other waders brooding their eggs and chicks
Top things to do in Summer
- Walk through the wildflower-rich machair grasslands
- Can you spot a rare great yellow bumblebee?
- Watch for seals or even a basking shark on calm days from the visitor trail
Top things to do in Autumn
- Watch otters fishing in the lochs and sea
- Enjoy the bird of prey spectacle - hen harriers and merlins join the resident buzzards hunting
- Watch the hustle and bustle of the crofters harvesting their crops
Top things to do in Winter
- See hundreds of barnacle and greylag geese move around the reserve
- Walk over the machair watching for flocks of finches, larks and buntings
- Seaweed deposited on the beach by winter storms attracts flocks of waders and many small birds
We haven't got any events planned here at the moment. Check out our main events pages to find something up your street (or at least quite near to it).
We want to hear what you think about our website. Can you help us improve it? We have a quick survey for you - it'll only take around 3 minutes.
Tell us what you think!