Due to exciting new improvement works, the Bowling Green Marsh hide will be closed from Monday 28 July until Sunday 31 August. In the meantime, you can check out some other fabulous nature sites on the Exe Estuary such as Exminster and Powderham Marsh, Darts Farm and Goosemoor, as well as Dawlish Warren.
Top things to do in Spring
- Cycle along Bowling Green Lane listening to the small hedgerow birds staking claim to territories
- Wave goodbye to the winter migrants and welcome in the summer birds
- Spot the first swifts, swallows, sand and house martins and learn which is which!
Top things to do in Summer
- Visit the viewing platform to look for shelduck crèches on the river
- Look out for the first migrants coming back from the north, such as black-tailed godwits
- Stroll round the Goat Walk to the Passage House Inn and take the foot ferry to visit Exminster Marshes
Top things to do in Autumn
- Catch the train on the Avocet line between Exeter and Exmouth and see the birds from a different angle
- Keep a sharp eye out for ospreys fishing to fuel up to continue their migration
- Stroll along Bowling Green Lane to experience the autumn leaves and the birds feeding on the ripe berries
Top things to do in Winter
- Visit the hide close to high tide to experience the amazing spectacle of the winter wildfowl and wader flocks
- Take an RSPB Avocet cruise to see the avocets and much, much more out on the estuary mud
- Marvel as the hunting peregrines cleave through the panicking flocks
We haven't got any events planned here at the moment. Check out our main events pages to find something up your street (or at least quite near to it).