Due to forestry work starting Monday 2 September some paths onsite will be closed. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Top things to do in Spring
- Listen for the songs of recently-arrived willow warblers, blackcaps and chiffchaffs
- Admire the carpets of bluebells beside the stream
- Look for peacock butterflies basking in patches of sunlight on the trails
Top things to do in Summer
- Sit by the Decoy Pond and see which birds and insects you can identify
- Try to find a white admiral butterfly nectaring on honeysuckle flowers
- Visit at dusk: listen for the churring of nightjars, look for 'roding' woodcocks and spot a glowworm along the trail edge
Top things to do in Autumn
- Hunt for fungi of all shapes and sizes, especially for pieces of dead wood coloured emerald green by the green elf cup fungus
- Visit the boardwalk that winds its way through the wet woodland, the iron-stained pools and the tussock sedges
- Find a wood ants' nest and follow their trails along the woodland floor
Top things to do in Winter
- Look out for crossbills feeding in the conifers and alders
- Listen for the chattering of a flock of siskins and lesser redpolls and mixed flocks of tits
- Walk the nature trail and look for animal tracks in the wet ground or snow
We haven't got any events planned here at the moment. Check out our main events pages to find something up your street (or at least quite near to it).
We want to hear what you think about our website. Can you help us improve it? We have a quick survey for you - it'll only take around 3 minutes.
Tell us what you think!