About Chapel Wood
This is a fine broadleaved woodland in a beautiful and historic setting: on a steep hillside, crowned by an Iron Age hill fort, with a stream running down either side.
The wood takes its name from the remains of Spreacombe Chapel and well, a scheduled Ancient monument dating from 1270. The site was donated to the RSPB in 1951 and was the first reserve owned in south-west England.
For such a small area, Chapel Wood has an impressive variety of birds. Regular nesting species include tawny owls, nuthatches, plus great spotted and green woodpeckers. Pied flycatchers occasionally nest and ravens have also nested here. Red deer, brown hares and badgers visit the wood and rare dormice live here. The soils of Chapel Wood are rather acidic which can limit the variety of wild flowers, although bluebells, primroses and foxgloves provide a splash of colour.
Management consists largely of the gradual removal of non-native species planted during the last century and their replacement with native trees. About 1 hectare of native oak trees has been planted. We keep standing dead timber as long as it presents no danger to visitors.
The hard work of our local volunteer warden is gratefully acknowledged.
Open at all times.
It's free, but we'd love it if you helped us continue our work here. Becoming a member is a great way to do it!
Information for dog owners
No dogs allowed, except registered assistance dogs