Please note that the visitor centre and the toilets will be closed December 24-31 inclusive. Information about the closest toilets to the reserve can be found on our blog. The reserve will remain open at all times throughout this period and the visitor centre and toilets will reopen on 1 January.
Top things to do in Spring
- Listen for bitterns booming in the reedbed
- See hobbies hawking for insects in the sky
- Hear the beautiful song of golden orioles from the poplar trees
Top things to do in Summer
- Look out for dragonflies and butterflies
- Marvel at the colours of the beautiful fenland plants on the reserve
- Watch young marsh harriers and bearded tits taking their first flights
Top things to do in Autumn
- Look out for migrant birds such as fieldfares and redwings
- Listen to bearded tits 'pinging' as they feed on the reed heads
- Watch out for roe and muntjac deer in the poplar woods
Top things to do in Winter
- It's the best time to see the cranes that nest on the reserve
- Look out for waterfowl on the washland pool
- Watch barn owls hunt in the afternoon near the visitor centre
9 January 2014
11 January 2014
We want to hear what you think about our website. Can you help us improve it? We have a quick survey for you - it'll only take around 3 minutes.
Tell us what you think!