8 August 2013
This is a Summary Access Statement. A full access statement is available to download from this page.
Before you arrive
- Open daily 10 am to 6 pm, from 1 April to 31 August only
- Entrance - adults £4, concessions £2.50, children £1. RSPB members and carers free
- Two manual wheelchairs available on request
- Registered assistance dogs only welcome in Centre
- Staff always present
- Site manager has received disability awareness training.
- Located on C class road, off the B970 between Boat of Garten and Nethybridge (both 3 miles/5 km)
- Brown road signposted from A9 (April-August only)
- Nearest mainline railway station Aviemore (8 miles/12 km). Private steam railway Boat of Garten (3 miles/5 km)
- No. 34/34X hourly bus stops at B970/ Loch Garten road junction (2 miles/3 km). Footpath (with slight inclines) to Centre
- Taxis include Aviemore Taxis, tel: 01479 811111
- Capacity for three coaches and 30 cars, plus two Blue Badge bays.
- Free parking
- Centre 275 m from car park - drop-off available
- Natural lighting only
Visitor centre and shop
- Floor level and step-free throughout with large turning circle
- Entrance tickets from Reception in car park
- Mixture of wooden seating and plastic chairs
- Fixed binoculars and telescopes at various heights
- Live and recorded CCTV images and osprey nest microphone
- No hearing loop, but staff give regular oral presentations.
- Spotlight lighting
- Minimal written information.
- Three waymarked trails with no stiles or gates: Green - 1.5 miles/2 km - compacted gravel; Red and Blue - 2 miles/3 km -compacted gravel/wooden boardwalk (some sections where 2 wheelchairs could not pass comfortably); Speyside Way 3.5km / 2.5 miles with some steep sections
- Large-print information display boards.
- Accessible composting toilet and baby changing facilities.
- No catering at Osprey Centre, hot drinks and snacks only available from staffed shop.
- Shops and hotels in Boat of Garten/Nethybridge (3 miles/5 km).
- Exploring making a section of Green trail more accessible
- Exploring purchase of electric mobility scooter
- Trails/ Speyway surface under regular review/repair/upgrade.
For more information