22 October 2012
This is a Summary Access Statement. A full access statement is available to download from this page.
Before you visit
- Clear print site leaflet available from reception
- Visitor Centre open 9 am to 5 pm daily, except Christmas Day. coffee shop open 10 am to 4 pm
- Entry to the reserve is free of charge
- Car park open 8.30 am to 5.30 pm daily
- Three mobility scooters and two wheelchairs available to hire out free of charge. Telephone for details
- Registered assistance dogs welcome (please do not be offended if we ask for evidence of registration)
- A dog walking route map is available from the visitor centre. Tethering rings and drinking bowl at the visitor centre entrance
- Check events and activities for accessibility,
How to get here
- Newport Railway Station (5 miles/8 km). Taxis usually available
- Bus stop in the reserve car park, Number 63
- Free parking, 180 m/197 yds from the visitor centre
- 10 blue badge spaces
- 85 parking spaces
- Drop-off at visitor centre arranged by telephone 01633 636363
- Tarmac surface, path to visitor centre compacted limestone chippings and dust
Visitor centre and shop
Entrance by wooden walkway with a maximum gradient of 1:40. Manually operated doors. Non-slip tiled surface. Low section on service counter. Hearing loop system is installed at the service counter and in the education rooms. Good natural and artificial lighting. Staff can give assistance and read out any literature if required. Binoculars are available for hire (£3.50 for the day).
Four main trails. All level on compacted with one incline using a zig-zag. Floating walkways have been used by wheelchairs, scooters and pushchairs but caution should be taken due to buoyancy.
Natural viewing opportunities throughout the reserve. A wheelchair accessible viewing screens overlooking the reedbeds.
Unisex accessible toilet along with separate ladies and gents available on ground floor of Visitor Centre. Level step free access. Baby changing table and a second baby facility in ladies toilets.
Step-free level access. Outside deck viewing area. Tables are well spaced apart. Good natural and overhead lighting. Non slip tiles. Accessible WC in the visitor centre.
Shop is located in the visitor centre. Level entry step free with no doors. There is step free, level access throughout. Non-slip tiled surface. Ample room. Well lit with daylight and fluorescent lighting. Promotional video usually playing with subtitles. Staff can provide assistance.
Two classrooms available as one room if required. Step-free, level access throughout. Non-slip flooring. Artificial even lighting. Portable hearing loop system available. Two raised ponds nearby.
Four picnic tables with wheelchair access outside visitor centre. Visitors free to bring their own refreshments for picnics.
Help us improve accessibility by sending feedback to the Site Manager.
For more information