28 June 2012
This is a Summary Access Statement. A full access statement is available to download from this page.
Before you visit
- Entry free. Car parking small charge for non members. Free parking for carer or essential companion with disabled visitor
- Registered Assistance Dogs welcome. A water bowl is at the visitor centre
- Manual push wheelchair for hire, free of charge, bookable in advance
- Reserve open daily 10 am to 5 pm (or dusk if earlier). Closed Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Gates locked when the reserve closes
- Check access suitability for events and activities
- Staff are trained in disability awareness.
How to get here
- Rye House station is 400 yards (366 m) away
- Bus stop 700 yards is in the Old Highway.
Three Blue Badge spaces 33 yards from the visitor centre
Parking and pedestrian access is all on one level
Drop off in coach bay outside the visitor centre when not in use
No height restrictions.
Visitor centre and shop
Ground level access with no steps or kerbs. Entry through double doors. One level with step-free access throughout. Surface lino and tiles in the toilets. Three seats are next to the entrance. Lowered counter section. Good lighting. A magnifying glass, pen and paper available at the counter. Staff available to assist. Binocular hire. No shop.
Access the trails through the visitor centre by a hard path. Paths linking the hides are generally flat with some grass areas, Some parts of the paths are narrow, but passing places are provided. Paths are level and low gradient ramps are provided for bridges. Seating available along paths.
Nine viewing hides on the reserve with level or access ramps (some steep). Hides have adapted sections for wheelchair access. Live camera in the visitor centre.
Toilets and baby changing facilities
Visitor toilets including a unisex accessible toilet at the rear of the visitor centre. Baby-changing facilities.
Hot and cold drinks accessible from a seated position. Staff available to assist. Nearby food outlets at Rye House and a small parade of shops.
Two picnic areas next to the car park, Seven benches, four have wheelchair spaces. Behind the visitor centre are four benches with priority to school groups. Visitors are welcome to consume their own food and drink here.
Classroom can be divided into two rooms. Spacious with a flexible layout. Step-free, level access throughout with a vinyl floor covering. Good lighting.
Help us improve accessibility by sending feedback to the Site Manager.
For more information