Top things to do in Spring
- The wood anemones are simply amazing in early spring - it looks like it has snowed when they are out! See how many you can count
- Listen out for the nightingales' vibrant song; they arrive from Africa at the end of April
- See the last few brent geese during May, before they depart to the Arctic to breed
Top things to do in Summer
- Butterflies are out and about all over the reserve - see how many species you can spot
- Look out for white admiral butterflies in sunny woodland glades from the end of June
- As summer fades, look out for returning curlews and redshanks on the estuary
Top things to do in Autumn
- October is sweet chestnut time in the woods - time to get roasting!
- Watch ospreys fish over the estuary on their way back to Africa
- Observe brent geese - just back from their Arctic breeding grounds - introduce their offspring to the estuary’s plentiful food supply
Top things to do in Winter
- Look out for winter waders which have returned en masse filling the saltmarsh roost up with chattering birds
- See how many tree species you can identify in winter, when there are no leaves!
- You might witness a peregrine catching its lunch of a wader or duck
We haven't got any events planned here at the moment. Check out our main events pages to find something up your street (or at least quite near to it).