Sumburgh Head is being transformed into an amazing visitor attraction, due to open in spring 2014. Please be aware that while most of the reserve is open, there will be restrictions (particularly around the construction area and to vehicles). Please be patient.
Top things to do in Spring
- Look out for wheatears arriving after their long migration
- Stimulate your senses with the sound and smell of thousands of seabirds
- Go for a breathtaking walk up the dramatic coastline from Jarlsoff visitor centre carpark to Sumburgh Head lighthouse
Top things to do in Summer
- Look out for eider making the most of the summer in Shetland
- Look to the sea for the chance of spotting killer whales (orcas) and minke whales
- In July, watch guillemot 'jumplings' leaping from the cliff face
Top things to do in Autumn
- Keep your eyes peeled for rare migrants
- Enjoy the fulmars surfing on the wind
- Marvel at the scenery
Top things to do in Winter
- Walk around the lighthouse buildings and imagine the lives of those who once lived here
- Spend time watching the sea in all her moods
- Watch twites up close and listen to their sweet chirps
We haven't got any events planned here at the moment. Check out our main events pages to find something up your street (or at least quite near to it).
We want to hear what you think about our website. Can you help us improve it? We have a quick survey for you - it'll only take around 3 minutes.
Tell us what you think!