Welcome Team (weekends) - Pagham Harbour
Pagham Harbour Nature Reserve
Why we want you
Our Welcome Team (weekends) are based in our visitor centre at Pagham Harbour, meeting and greeting visitors, helping them with enquiries and providing information about the reserve.
The team comprise of a number of dedicated volunteers, whose tasks include:
- welcoming visitors, answering enquiries and providing orientation information
- updating the daily bulletin boards e.g.. wildlife sightings
- shop duties e.g.. stock taking/topping up merchandise as required
- serving visitors with refreshments (we have a tea/coffee machine and sell ice cream, cold drinks etc.)
- Enthusing and arranging RSPB membership
- answering the telephone, and taking event and education booking enquiries.
- keeping the Visitor Centre clean and maintained e.g.. updating displays, refilling leaflets, cutting shrubbery, filling bird feeders
What’s in it for you?
- Opportunities to learn about and make a valuable contribution to the work of the RSPB, Nature Reserve and wildlife conservation
- The chance to attend regular volunteer social events
- After a satisfactory period of volunteering, staff will provide a professional reference.
The skills you need
- A friendly people person with good communication and interpersonal skills.
- With a patient, understanding and polite manner
- A warm and friendly telephone manner
- A willingness to operate a till and credit card machine
- An ability to work out small sums - money handling
- Ability and willingness to work alone at times.
Helpful to have:
- An interest in the work of a Nature Reserve and native wildlife
- Knowledge of Pagham Harbour (Wardens are usually on-hand to answer questions. Information file and induction are provided)
- Ability to work as part of a small team.
Minimum commitment: A weekend morning and/or afternoon with arrangements to be discussed
Period: all year round
Who to contact
Tel: 01798 875851
Initial and ongoing support provided:
- A full induction with the Visitor Services Warden before starting, to ease you into the role.
- A chance to shadow an experienced member of the Welcome Team to gain confidence.
- A copy of the RSPB volunteer handbook
- Access to the Pagham Harbour Welcome Team file, which is regularly updated with relevant news
- 6-monthly one to ones with the Visitor Services Warden which gives the opportunity for personal development (if desired)
- Access to the advice and guidance of a mentor - a volunteer with experience of the role
- Opportunities for training (if required/desired)
- An invite to our annual volunteer social event at the reserve - a chance to meet the team, other Pagham Harbour volunteers, and for staff to say a big 'thank you'!
- RSPB would reimburse you for all out- of- pocket expenses, invite you to regional volunteer thank you events, send you copies of our bi-annual volunteer newsletter, and give you ongoing support in your role.
There is free car parking at the Visitor Centre
You are entitled to free hot drinks during your shift
The RSPB works for a healthy environment rich in birds and wildlife. It relies on the support and generosity of volunteers to make a difference. The RSPB is the UK Partner of the global federation of conservation organisations, Bird Life International.
Reference number: 5977