Schools Outreach Volunteers - North East
Why we want you
We need you to be part of a network of volunteers visiting schools and informal groups to excite them about the natural world and wildlife through talks and activities. You will be enhancing the learning opportunities of young people and typically may support schools with indoor or outdoor environmental games and activities. You will be presenting fun, inspiring and hands-on activities and events to children, e.g.. Big Schools Birdwatch.
What’s in it for you?
You will gain valuable experience as part of this role, including the following:
- Experience of working with young people for a well-known environmental charity.
- Knowledge that the role you will be carrying out will be playing a vital part in inspiring young people about the natural world.
- Use your skills to train and develop other volunteers.
- Relevant training for the role e.g.. Child Safety and Welfare, risk assessments, Health & Safety.
- You will be a valuable member of a professional team
As well as all this you have the benefits of knowing that you are helping young peoples learning.
A reference may also be available as part of this role.
The skills you need
- Previous experience of working with children is desirable, preferably pre-school or primary age.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work with a range of ages and abilities.
- Creativity, enthusiasm for both wildlife and conservation.
- Ability to work as part of a team and on your own.
- Good organisation skills and high motivation
- Ability to give and take instructions
- References will be sought.
Minimum commitment: Approximately 12 days per year
Period: All year round
Who to contact
Tel: 01524 581002
In line with the RSPB Child Safety & Welfare Policy, all applicants are subject to an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service (England and Wales), Access NI in Northern Ireland, or a PVG Scheme registration check from the Central Registered Body in Scotland (CRBS). References will also be taken up.
Contact the DBS on 0870 9090811 or visit https://www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service for more information.
Contact the CRBS on 01786 849777 or visit www.crbs.org.uk for more information.
Contact Access NI on 0300 200 7888 or visit www.accessni.gov.uk for more information.
All training necessary and background information will be provided and since you are giving up your time, it is only fair we offer to re-imburse your travel expenses (up to 25 miles max).
The RSPB speaks out for birds and wildlife, tackling the problems that threaten our environment. Nature is amazing - help us keep it that way. Step up for nature and volunteer your time and talents with us today.
Reference number: 6440