21 February 2014
Are you inspired by the landscape, wildlife and people of the Greater Thames?
We are inviting visitors and residents of North Kent, South Essex and London to help us celebrate our magnificently diverse landscape by taking part in The Big Picture - Greater Thames Photography Competition.
The Big Picture aims to showcase the unique landscape of the Greater Thames and the creatures that depend on it.
Wild about the Thames
Photographs of animals taken within the wilds of the Greater Thames.
The wild can consist of any natural place – from your garden or local park to an RSPB nature reserve. Images should seek to showcase the amazing wildlife of the Thames, creating a lasting impression. This could be a great close-up, showing new behaviour or simply celebrating the spectacle of an estuary filled with returning migrant birds.
Photographs of striking views of the Greater Thames landscape which tell a story. We want everything from areas of natural beauty, to a landscape under threat from environmental change. Think of taking a new perspective of an iconic Thames landmark – how do the wide expanses of marshland interrelate with the industry and ships on the river?
What stories can you tell about the role of nature within this landscape and can you capture a unique shot which epitomises the estuary for you. Share your stories of this wonderfully diverse landscape, capture its unique beauty and raise awareness of the threats it faces.
My Place in the Picture
Have you had a great day out with your family enjoying nature in the Greater Thames? Or perhaps you’ve done something amazing to help wildlife? Perhaps you know someone who has looked after this area their whole life. Capture this moment on camera and share it with us. You don’t need to be a budding photographer with a big camera to enter this category; photos of your family having fun taken with a mobile phone are equally welcome!
If you are aged 16 or under, this is the category for you – we would love to see your images of the wildlife, landscape and people in the Greater Thames – show us in a picture what it means to you...
Our expert judging panel will be revealed shortly. Watch this space to find out who will be picking the cream of the crop!
How to enter:
- Grab your camera and explore the Greater Thames! Join one of our Big Picture guided walks for a chance to visit a unique spot and pick up some photography tips along the way. Follow the 'events' link on the right of this page to find an event near you.
- Take a look at our terms and conditions, these can be found at on the right of this page.
- Email your photo(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org before midnight on Tuesday 22 April.
- Once you’ve submitted your photo(s), we’ll send you a link to our JustGiving page where you can donate towards our work giving nature a home in the Greater Thames. Suggested donation per photo: £3
Let us know:
- Your name
- Contact number and email address
- Which category(s) you are entering
- Picture title and caption (maximum 50 words)
- Where in the Greater Thames the photo was taken.
Alongside the chance to win some fantastic prizes and a print of your photograph, finalists will be invited to join us and our expert judges aboard the historic Light Vessel 21 for an awards ceremony like no other. Following the ceremony in May, selected photos will be part of The Big Picture – The Exhibition which will be displayed at locations all over the Greater Thames.
More prizes revealed soon...