National Robin Day

Chat

Chat
Say hello to your fellow members or ask questions about this community here
The Tea Rooms

National Robin Day

• I stumbled across a Twitter account called @NationalRobin trying to promote National Robin Day, on Thursday 21 December 2017.

"National Robin Day is an annual nationwide event raising awareness of small birds and other wildlife in winter and how you can help them through this tough time of year"

Being new to this, I'm curious to know are they a bona-fide organisation or are they scrounging money for other purposes?

They also claim to be part of the Song Bird Survival Organisation, again, another new name to me.

https://www.nationalrobinday.co.uk/

https://www.songbird-survival.org.uk/

• Appears to be well set up ... www.songbird-survival.org.uk/.../staff-and-trustees

Will be interested to see if they can bring a new scientific approach to halting the decline of our songbirds!

• Several names are familiar and can be found making comments that are freely available on the internet.

One of them has written an article here.  It is therefore unclear to me what independant research is being planned, and funding sought for if a trustee already 'knows' the cause of songbird declines.

Robins are booming. Tree sparrows, the other species referred to, aren't declining anymore in UK.

There are several reputatable bird conservation organisations already in existence. All make mistakes imo decision wise, but I am not convinced this newly set up rival is a better option???

• Mike,

Song Bird Survival has been around for some years, though their website may be new, or a revamp. National Robin Day seems to be a publicity campaign run by them. 

If you do a search of the Community site, you can find a number of past articles about them. Mark Avery took a keen interest in their activities, and motivations, during his time at the RSPB - see this article especially. 

• Thank you Robbo for your reply.

I think the reason why the robin is used is due to its popularity among the lesser informed citizens. The proclaimed date is very close to Christmas, a time of year when the robin is prolifically used in advertising, on Christmas cards etc. It's a bird that attracts the most attention generally, even though we know its a survivor and very commonplace.

I think Sue C response along with Mark Avery's probably sums up our thoughts well.

• Thank you Sue for your reply, and also sharing of Mark Avery's article, which I found very interesting.

I may be a little too cynical, but I share Robbo's thoughts on the website and National Robin Day promotion.