White Doves

Chat

Chat
Say hello to your fellow members or ask questions about this community here
Hello!

White Doves

• Two white doves arrived in our garden in April this year and despite making enquiries we still have no idea where they have come from. They've made our garden their home and have even managed to raise a chick under the eaves of the house so now we have three! We bought them an open bird table, to the delight of the wood pigeons but unfortunately the doves have never used it. In view of the fact winter is fast approaching and they are not a native species, we are concerned how they will get on and are now considered purchasing a small dovecote. We are happy to go to the expense of buying one as we love having them and want to keep them safe, but based on our experience with the bird table we wonder if they'll go anywhere near it. Does anyone know if they are likely to use it?
  • If you don’t mind them living under your eaves Jane, I would leave getting a Dovecote for now they will not know what its for anyway, they will be like Pigeons if they were born in it they will use it but that’s only what I think on this just leave them and they will look after themselves.

Jim

• They might us the bird table eventually, especially if they see their close relatives using it. James could be right about the Dovecote. If they have raised a youngster already then they seem at home. Any idea if the other egg hatched or was it not viable (assuming there was a second)?

• I'm not sure about a second egg however they appear to be building another nest as we speak!  It's really strange as the bird I think is the male (he coos a lot) disappears off for 2-3 weeks then reappears. This has happened twice and he's the tamer of the bunch so I'm fairly sure it's him and not the female on another nest. They are a real mystery.  Thanks to you both for the advice so far.

• If you watch this Video Jane, the Male is the one doing all the cooing and bobbing up and down I would expect Doves to do the same and when I kept Pigeons you could tell the male from the female because his head is more rounded on top then hers her head is a little flatter on top.

Jim

• 121AAA9D-6254-4832-9320-7A48F68374DB.JPG

Thanks Jim.  I would definitely say I've got the male & female identified correctly based on this.  

• Nice Picture of the Doves you have Jane, There is a way to show your pictures on here I will find the link for you, in the meantime I will post your picture for you.

Jim

• Sadly the link is not working I will find out why.

POST Edit.

Lets try again.

LINK

Jim

• There is also this thread www.rspb.org.uk/.../191572.aspx

• Cheers Alan, I would have linked your but I can never find it lol

Jim