Set up a compost bin or heap. This can help reduce the amount of rubbish you put out for collection and can provide a good habitat for wildlife in your garden.
This activity is about attracting insects and other invertebrates which provide food for birds. Once your compost heap is established you can use the compost to fertilize the rest of your garden.
Are you doing this activity as part of your ild Challenge? Take a look at your progress and go for gold!
What do I do?
- Put your compost bin somewhere not too noticeable, they can smell a bit in summer.
- Put kitchen scraps and garden waste in your compost bin.
- Keep an eye on your compost, if it gets too dry, add water. If it is slimy add some newspaper
- Wait, compost can take up to a year to be ready to use
- Have a look at our how to make a compostarium / creu blwch compost (Welsh)
- Don't forget to tell us when you have completed the activity! When you mark the activity as complete, you will be asked to upload a photo or a piece of writing talking about your experience to help earn your award.
Completing the activity
Use the 'Mark as complete' button at the top of this page to tell us you've completed your activity. You'll need to show us what you did by uploading some photographs of your compost bin. Tell us what you have used your compost for. Maybe send us some writing describing what you did.