Many famous authors and poets have found their inspiration in nature, now it’s your turn to use the natural world.
This activity is about spending time in the natural world and using it to inspire creativity in writing, be it a poem, a song, a piece of non-fiction writing or even a fictional piece.
Are you doing this activity as part of your ild Challenge? Take a look at your progress and go for gold!
This activity supports the following subjects: English.
What do I do?
- Go outside into the natural world, either on a visit or a nature walk or just spend some time in your school grounds.
- Take some time to look, listen and experience the nature around you. Do you feel part of nature – connected to the natural world? What emotions do you feel? How would you describe them?
- Write a poem or a story or a reflective account of your experience. Think about the words you use. Can you use a different, better word? How can you build on your vocabulary?
- Don't forget to tell us when you have completed the activity! When you mark the activity as complete, you will be asked to upload your piece of writing to help earn your award.
Completing the activity
Use the 'Mark as complete' button at the top of this page to tell us you've completed your activity. You'll need to show us what you did by uploading your piece of writing
Get them thinking
Here are some prompts to help with learning:
- If you could chose a word for each of your senses what would they be?
- What noun is having a greatest impact on you? Can you make this even more specific?
- Looking at your chosen noun, what is it doing? How is it doing it? Gather as many quality adjectives and adverbs as you can.