Big Garden Birdwatch chocolate cake
Bake yourself a Birdwatch beauty with this easy-to-make recipe. Decorate with chocolate and icing to make it into your favourite bird. We’d love to see what you do – share your photos with us using #BigGardenBirdWatch.
6 oz self-raising flour
6 oz softened butter
6 oz caster sugar
3 oz drinking chocolate
3 large eggs
3 tablespoons boiling water
For chocolate buttercream
3 oz unsalted butter
6 oz icing sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1-2 tablespoons milk
You will also need chocolates and icing to turn your cake into a bird!
To make the cake
- Grease a nine-inch round tin.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 °C, fan oven 160°C, gas mark 4.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Beat for at least two minutes.
- Pour mixture into tin.
- Cook in the middle of the oven for approximately 60 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove cake from tin and let it cool.
- To make the buttercream, beat the butter and sieved icing sugar until smooth.
- Add in cocoa powder and milk to buttercream and mix until smooth.
- Cover the cake with buttercream and decorate with chocolate and icing.
Tuck in and enjoy the Big Garden Birdwatch!