Upland songbird research
Diagnosing declines and testing solutions for upland songbirds
- To recover numbers of ring ouzels through appropriate habitat manipulations.
- To determine the efficacy of trial intervention measures to increase key twite food-plant species.
- To diagnose the causes of decline of whinchat breeding in the UK uplands.
- 2013 - Trial management for twite commences within recovery project.
- 2015 - Trial management for ring ouzel introduced to experimental sites on RSPB reserves.
- 2016 - First confirmed ring ouzel breeding record in one of the trial sites since 2006.
- 2016 - Initial monitoring of the habitat and bird response to twite recovery measures.
- 2016 - Diagnostic research for whinchat commences on upland breeding areas, including a number of RSPB reserves.
- Ring ouzels - monitoring of the response to trial management will continue in 2017.
- Twite - analysis of habitat and bird responses to recovery measures.
- Whinchat - diagnostic research continues in 2017.
- Natural England support our work on ring ouzel and twite through the Action for Birds in England agreement.