Summary accessibility statement
Before you visit
Cliffe Pools offers no shelter from the sun or inclement weather so please dress accordingly.
How to get here
The nearest stations are Higham (3 miles/5 km away), and Strood (5 miles/8 km away).
Bus 133 from Chatham, Rochester and Strood stops in Cliffe.
Follow directions for Cliffe village, take the second left after the round, stone 'Cliffe' village sign (into Rectory Road). Then turn right at the next T-junction and after 600 metres turn left into Salt Lane. Continue along Salt Lane until the road bends sharply to the right - the car park is situated on the left-hand side.
Sat nav POI file: If you have a satellite navigation system that can accept POI files, please see our POI page for a download link and instructions.
Instead of driving down the rough track onto the site you can park sensibly in the village close to St Helen's Church (behind the Six Bells) in Cliffe village, and walk down Pond Lane onto the reserve.
Access to facilities
- Trails are level, but unsurfaced.
- No steps or stiles. Gates to restrict motorcycle access immediately by car park, but these have been designed to allow access for foldable wheelchairs.
- Choice of circular trails. All less than 0.75 mile (1 km) long.
- No benches apart from on the public rights of way.
- Main viewpoint 300 m from the car park. At end of a steep incline to the top of a chalk pinnacle. Bench without back or armrests.
- View over the Thames, 1 mile (1.5 km) from the car park with a bench (no back or arm rests).
- Registered assistance dogs welcome. Other dogs permitted on Saxon Shoreway only.
- We welcome responsible dog owners and note that you are sharing this nature reserve with very rare ground-nesting birds.
- Dogs are permitted on all public footpaths but must be under close control and kept out of the pools at all times.
- Sheep, cattle, and visiting families all appreciate the cooperation of dog walkers.
- Please clear dog mess off the paths, preferably using the dog bins provided, or take it home for disposal.