Summary accessibility statement
How to get here
The nearest stations are Preston, Rufford and Southport. (Taxi ranks without accessible taxis, but there are several local providers.)
The nearest bus stop is Hundred End junction on Shore Road, 1 mile (1.5 km) by public footpath. Frequent service (Arriva No. 2) from Preston to Southport.
There is a small car park (open from 8am - 6pm) at the end of the (private) Dib Road. Take Shore Road from Banks or Hesketh Bank. The turning is the first on the right after leaving Hesketh Bank and the first on the left after passing the Hundred End junction.
Sat nav POI file: If you have a satellite navigation system that can accept POI files, please see our POI page for a download link and instructions.
Access is via a network of public footpaths from Hesketh Bank, Hundred End and Banks villages.
Access to facilities
The nearest toilets with accessible access and baby changing facilities can be found in Booths supermarket (for patrons) at Hesketh Bank, 2.4 miles (3.8km) away; or Southport, 9 miles (14km) away.
- Nature trail 500m to 'Karen's Viewpoint' viewing platform. Wide, surfaced path with a gentle incline designed for wheelchair users and pushchairs with two passing places on the sloped incline.
- Wide kissing gates suitable for wheelchair users and pushchairs.
- No seating on trails.
- Public footpath west (left) along seawall to Hundred End Gutter and Southport, linear distance 0.8 miles (1.3km) one way.
- Public footpath east (right) along seawall to the River Douglas and Hesketh Bank village, linear distance 1.9 miles (2.3km) one way. Grass surface.
Karen's Viewpoint at top of seawall gives great views of the reserve and one of the lagoons. There is a bench without back or arms.
Nearest refreshments, including hot food, can be found in Hesketh Bank or Southport.
One picnic bench at cap park.
- Registered Assistance dogs welcome.
- Other dogs on leads and on public footpaths and bridleways only please.
Additional accessibility information
For more information, contact Hesketh Out Marsh on 01704 211690.