Summary accessibility statement
Before you visit
Parking by prior arrangement only.
How to get here
Gloucester is the nearest train station. A four mile walk on a public footpath via Over and Highnam avoids roads.
The bus stop is Highnam Woods. From Gloucester, take the number 33 or 24 (Monday-Saturday), or 325 (Sunday only) Call Traveline on 0871 2002233 for further information.
Gloucester. A Sustrans route passing close to the reserve is proposed. National Cycle route 42 goes to Highnam Village.
Please note parking is only available for events and for groups by prior arrangement with reserve staff. Situated 3.75 miles (6 km) west of Gloucester. Take the A40 west from Gloucester signposted to Ross. Proceed along A40 for 1.25 miles, go straight on at the roundabout and continue towards Ross for 0.6 mile. The reserve is on the right. Nearest postcode: GL2 8AA
Sat nav POI file: If you have a satellite navigation system that can accept POI files, please see our POI page for a download link and instructions.
Access to facilities
- Thanks to volunteers we aim to open the car park at weekends from 10am - 4pm throughout spring and summer - phone office to confirm.
- Gated pedestrian access at main entrance.
- Hard-surfaced with unmarked bays.
- Some changes in gradient, including significant slopes to west and north.
- Permissive paths links the nature trail to the public footpath (via a very steep hill) and the public footpath to the road to the north of the reserve.
- All paths are unsurfaced, mown natural grass, which become muddy in wet conditions. No gates, steps or stiles or other width restrictions.
- Lowered viewing slot and moveable seating.
- Step-free level access and surfaced path to hide.
Registered assistance and other dogs welcome, but must be under strict control and on paths in the bird breeding season.