Summary accessibility statement
Before you visit
Please check ahead for suitability for your access needs.
How to get here
Welshpool, more than 20 miles away.
At the end of the dam. Infrequent service to this rural location. Walk in opposite direction to the lake, with the visitor centre on the right.
From Llanfyllin, take the B4393 to Llanwddyn. Continue along the B4393 to Llanwddyn by taking a right turn. At the dam, turn left, then left at the end of the dam. The RSPB visitor centre is on the right.
Sat nav POI file: If you have a satellite navigation system that can accept POI files, please see our POI page for a download link and instructions.
Access to facilities
- Access over small incline via ramp.
- Step-free throughout.
- Large turning circle.
- Carpeted floor.
- Good lighting.
- Staff and volunteers available to assist.
- Tarmac surface.
- Slight slope.
Six colour-coded way-marked circuits.
All except Green and Orange with steep inclines Benches - some with backs and arms at regular intervals.
- Green (Rhiwargor). 2 miles (3 km). Allow 1 hour. Mainly grass tracks. Two kissing gates. Stream crossing via stepping stones.
- Purple (Ty-Uchaf). 7 miles (11 km). Allow 3 hours. Mainly forest track with roads.
- Red (Llechwedd Du). 9 miles (14 km) Allow 3.5 hours. Mainly forestry track.
- Orange (Llechwedd Du Short). 1.7 miles (2.75 km). Allow 1 hour. Forestry track.
- Yellow (Grwn-oer). 1.3 miles (2 km). Allow 45 minutes.
- Blue (Craig Garth Bwlch). 4 miles (6.4 km). Allow 2 hours. Mainly forestry track and lanes. Some open farmland.
- Coed y Capel/ Woodland hide, 25 m from car park. Moveable chairs. Large picture windows.
- Step-free level access Glan y Llyn/ Lakeside hide, 68 m, on very uneven, rocky access path. Moveable seating. Small incline via ramp with handrails. Low viewing slots.
- Canmlwyddiant/ Centenary Hide, 600 m, on fairly level ground. Ramp without handrail. Fixed seating. Low viewing slots.
- One table at Old Village car park and all at Llechwedd Du (access via steps or a ramp) have a space for a wheelchair user.
- All others except Triangular Green have level access.
- Registered assistance and other dogs welcome.
- Water bowl available.
- Step-free, level access throughout.
- Moveable seating.
- Non-slip vinyl floor.
- Evenly and well-lit.