Full facilities information
The visitor centre is open daily.
It is housed in a picturesque, converted barn and our friendly team are on-hand to welcome you on arrival and help you make the most of your visit.
Dogs on leads are welcome in the visitor centre in order to access the dog-friendly trail across the reserve. See the ‘Information for dog owners’ section for further details.
Main car park: open daily, dawn-dusk.
Accessible car park: open daily, dawn-dusk.
Allen and Eric Morecambe car park: open daily, dawn-dusk.
- 90 spaces
- 7 Blue Badge spaces
- Allen and Eric Morecambe car park is a mile from the visitor centre.
- Drop-off point outside the visitor centre.
- No lighting in our car parks.
- No height restriction barrier in the main car park or accessible car park.
- 2m height restriction to the Allen and Eric Morecambe car park.
- No overnight parking or camping in any of our car parks
- No coach parking available, groups using coaches please arrange for drop off and pick up
- Bicycle racks available in the accessible car park
- Dogs die in hot cars, please do not leave your dog in the car when visiting us.
Please be respectful of other visitor access, our team and our neighbours by not parking on the road, verges or in gateways, as it causes an obstruction for residents and emergency services.
Please note, there is no parking at the top of the Causeway as it blocks the road and resident access.
Toilets open daily 9.30am-5pm (9.30am-4.30pm in December and January).
They are located on the ground floor of the visitor centre.
Accessible toilet open daily, dawn-dusk.
It is located on the ground floor at the rear of the visitor centre.
Our cafe is open daily and our friendly team are on hand to serve you. You can choose to dine indoors or you can takeaway.
We have a delicious selection of hot meals, sandwiches, soups, wraps, paninis, snacks, cakes, ice creams and hot and cold drinks available.
- Card payments preferred.
- Wherever possible, our food is sustainably packaged, locally sourced, organic, Fairtrade, palm-oil free or sustainable palm oil.
- Our takeaway options are served in compostable vegware or we will happily fill up your own coffee cup or container.
- We serve RSPB exclusive, bird-friendly coffee here, produced by Bird and Wild. Our coffee has been shade-grown high in the Nicaraguan rainforest, which unlike traditional coffee plantations, involves our producers leaving the tree canopy above the coffee bush in place, providing vital homes for a rich-variety of wildlife. This also leads to our coffee growing more slowly giving its distinctive, smooth flavour and means it requires less water and has less need to use fertilisers or pesticides. As well as being bird-friendly it is also organic and Fairtrade.
- Children are very welcome. We don’t have a specific children’s menu, but we are happy to provide smaller/half-sized portions. We also have highchairs available.
- Our team are able to provide allergen information.
- Sorry, dogs are not permitted in the café, other than assistance dogs.
Our shop is open daily, and our friendly team are on hand to serve and advise you.
Here is just a flavour of our most popular products. Visit our store to discover more.
Bird food and feeders
Attract birds to your garden all year round with the help of our premium bird food - a real hit with your feathered friends! Produced with wildlife in mind, our seed mixes are Fair to Nature, meaning they meet rigorous conservation standards which help struggling farmland wildlife in the UK and Europe to flourish.
Fill your feeders with our extensive range of wild bird food to suit every type of garden bird and feeder. From seed to suet, peanuts to mealworms, we will help you to attract a whole host of different birds to your outdoor space.
Binoculars and Telescopes
Looking for a new pair of binoculars or telescope? We’ve got a fantastic range suitable for all needs and budgets. Whether it’s a pair of binoculars for the family to spot nature in your own garden, a telescope to use out birding, or compacts that make seeing wildlife on your walks that little bit extra special, we’ve got something for everyone. Prices start from just £25 and include premium brands such as our own popular RSPB series, along with Viking, Swarovski, Leica, Nikon, Opticron and Zeiss. To try our extensive range in a Covid-secure way, please call us on 01524 701601 to arrange an appointment.
Feel great in your outdoor space by making it a fantastic home for wildlife. Create safe havens, hiding places and sources of water and you'll enjoy welcoming more nature in no time.
Our range of wildflower seed mixes, nestboxes, insect homes, hedgehog hotels, toad abodes, bat boxes and more will help you attract our best-loved garden wildlife.
Wondering what to buy your nature-loving friend or family member, or just wanting to treat yourself? Find plenty of great ideas within our gift range. Whether you’re looking for wildlife-themed books, home and kitchenware, clothing and accessories, or a new addition for the garden, we’ve got something for you. Plus, keep the little ones entertained with our fantastic choice of fun and educational, nature-inspired toys, games and craft items.
Baby changing facilities are located in the accessible toilet on the ground floor, at the rear of the visitor centre.
You are welcome to bring a picnic to enjoy on your visit, or pick one up from our café to take out with you.
- We have a total of 12 picnic tables around the site, including several in the sensory garden and one in the main car park, as well as a number of other benches around the site.
- Please note that our indoor and outdoor café seating is for visitors who have purchased food and drink from our café only.
Please help keep this place safe and special for wildlife and people by taking your litter home with you.
BBQs are a fire risk, endangering other people and the precious wildlife and habitats here. They are not permitted here at any time.
The pathways around the reserve are level and well-maintained making it the perfect place for a stroll in nature with a pushchair. You and the little ones can spot ducks and our very friendly robins as you explore the stunning landscape and enjoy fresh air amongst the reedbed and woodlands.
Our popular RSPB binoculars are available to hire on your visit:
Binocular hire is available daily from 9.30am, to be returned by visitor centre closing time. Last hire is an hour before closing.
Looking to buy a pair of binoculars or telescope? We’ve got a fantastic range suitable for all needs and budgets in our shop. Whether it’s a pair of binoculars for the family to spot nature in your own garden, a telescope to use out birding, or compacts that make seeing wildlife on your walks that little bit extra special, we’ve got something for everyone. Prices start from just £25 and include premium brands such as our own RSPB series (some of which are available to hire as above), along with Viking, Swarovski, Leica, Nikon, Opticron and Zeiss.
We run an exciting programme of guided walks and other events throughout the year.
Please see the ‘Activities and Events’ tab for more details of upcoming events and how to book.
Bringing a flock? Please see ‘Group booking information’ for further details.
Our wildlife watching hides and viewpoints are a great place to spot the special wildlife here and offer outstanding views over Leighton Moss.
- We have seven hides and one viewpoint in total.
- All hides and viewpoints are open daily, in line with nature reserve opening hours.
- Lilian's hide, Tim Jackson hide, Grisedale hide, Causeway hide and Lower hide all overlook the reedbed.
- Allen and Eric Morecambe. hides give views over the saltmarsh and Morecambe Bay
- Our 9m high Skytower gives an excellent bird's-eye view over Leighton Moss, the surrounding Arnside and Silverdale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and Morecambe Bay beyond.
Our reserve boasts several marked trails to help you explore this amazing landscape and the wildlife that calls it home.
- The Garden Trail is a short 380 metre circular walk. This trail takes you through the middle of our sensory garden and passes the 9m high Skytower. This path is wheelchair accessible.
- The Family Trail is approximately 1.6km / 1 mile long. A lovely walk through the woodland, opening up into the reedbed. This path is wheelchair accessible.
- The Lower Trail is around 3.2 kilometres / 2 miles there and back. Follow this trail to the wildest part of the nature reserve. It leads you past the Causeway Pool and towards the Lower hide along a lovely woodland path. Part of this path is wheelchair accessible.
- Take the Reed-edge Trail along a raised boardwalk – explore the dense reedbeds and listen for the secretive wildlife that hides there. This path is wheelchair accessible.
- The Coastal Trail is 0.7 miles there and back, from its own, separate car park. Get up close to hundreds of wading birds including iconic avocets in spring. This path is wheelchair accessible.
Bring your classroom learning to life with our National Curriculum-linked, learning sessions, led by our qualified, enthusiastic team.
We offer a whole host of hands-on, fun, outdoor activities for Early Years, Primary school, Secondary school and A-Level, as well as uniformed groups.
For further information, see the ‘School Bookings Information’ section of this website, or for full details visit our school trips information.
- Level classroom housed in the visitor centre.
- Good lighting.
- Carpet flooring.
- Clear print displays.
- Shared toilet facilities
- Interactive displays.
Meetings, events and functions
With the stunning backdrop of the nature reserve, our indoor educational facilities are also available for hire as a meeting space, or are ideal for an event or function.
- Basic room hire is £80 per day, which includes tables and chairs, projector and screen.
- Refreshments and/or buffet lunch can also be provided at an additional cost depending on your requirements.
- Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further details or to book.
We don’t have a play area here, but families enjoy many of the exciting features to be found in the sensory garden and are welcome to explore the trails, discovering the variety of wonderful wildlife here.