Summary accessibility statement
Before you visit
The reserve has no electricity or running water.
How to get here
Southport (Chapel Street Station) - follow London Street till it joins Lord Street and then go straight across Lord Street and on down Nevill Street to the Promenade; turn right to follow Marine Lake to its northern end; turn left onto Fairway and then right on to Marine Drive. Reserve begins at Hesketh Road after 0.6 miles.
Southport (War Memorial, Lord Street) to Crossens via Marshside Road. No.44 every 15 minutes. Get off at Elswick Road junction. Walk north 200 m along Marshside Road to reserve.
National Cycle Network traffic-free route (Liverpool to Southport) utilises wide pavement adjacent to Marine Drive through reserve.
From Southport, follow coast road north (1.5 miles or 2.5 km from Southport Pier) to small car park by sand works.
Sat nav POI file: If you have a satellite navigation system that can accept POI files, please see our POI page for a download link and instructions.
Liverpool for ferries - 1 hour away by car.
Access to facilities
- Accessed by surfaced level path.
- Adjustable telescope available when staff/volunteers present.
- Displays include large map, interactive 'What's About' board and wildlife illustrations with fixed and seasonal identification charts.
- Information on tide time and height.
- Free car park 300m from visitor centre.
- No formal spaces.
- No height restrictions.
- Access to reserve via toucan crossing, lighting by crossing.
- Trail map available from visitor centre.
- Hide trails are level and surfaced, at least 2m wide with passing places. 300m to Visitor Centre and 560m to Nel’s Hide from car park.
- Sutton’s Trail, 3 miles (4.5km), minimum of 2 hours walk. Four benches with backs (no arm rests). Rough, unsurfaced path, narrow entrances and one stile crossing.
- Rimmer’s Trail, 2 miles (3km), minimum of 2 hours walk. Three benches with backs (no arm rests). Rough, unsurfaced path, narrow entrances, kissing gate and two road crossings.
- Redshank Road, 0.5 mile (0.8km), minimum of 1 hours walk. Crosses tidal marshes. Track uneven and unsurfaced. Please check tide times before using this route.
- Two 'hides' (Sandgrounders' doubling as visitor centre). Level entry to hides, 1m wide doors. Movable seating and space for wheelchair users.
- Three viewing screens, two with low viewing slots.
- One raised viewing platform, ramped with hand rails on both sides.
Only registered assistance dogs welcome in visitor centre and hide.
Additional accessibility information
For more information, contact Marshside on 01704 211690.