Plan your visit
- Nature reserve: open daily, dawn-dusk.
- Car park: open daily, dawn-dusk.
- Visitor Centre: open daily, 9am-5pm (November-January 9am-4pm).
- Shop: open daily, 9am-5pm (November-January 9am-4pm).
- Café: open daily, 10am-4pm (November-January 10am-3.30pm).
- Toilets: open daily, dawn-dusk.
Festive opening times
- Christmas Eve: nature reserve, visitor centre, shop and toilets open, 9am-3pm, café open, 10am-2.30pm.
- Christmas Day: nature reserve, visitor centre, shop, café and toilets closed.
- Boxing Day: nature reserve, visitor centre, shop, café and toilets closed.
- New Year’s Eve: nature reserve, visitor centre, shop and toilets open, 9am-4pm, café open, 10am-3.30pm.
- New Year’s Day: nature reserve, visitor centre, shop and toilets open, 9am-4pm, café open, 10am-3.30pm.
- All other days in the festive period are open our usual winter opening hours as above.
- Free entrance to RSPB members
Free entrance for first child
Free entrance for under 5s
- Free entrance for carers
- Car park cost
How to get here
Darsham is the closest station (5 miles).
Leiston is the nearest scheduled bus (4 miles). A demand-responsive bus will meet local buses and trains from 7am - 7pm Monday to Saturday. It must be booked the day before travelling by calling Suffolk Links Blyth on 01728 635938.
National cycle route 1 links with regional route 42 (Suffolk Coast Cycle route).
The reserve is sign posted with brown tourist signs from Westleton.
Sat nav POI file: If you have a satellite navigation system that can accept POI files, please see our POI page for a download link and instructions.
Information for dog owners
Disturbing wildlife does more than simply causing it to move away; it uses up their energy, decreasing their chance of survival regardless of season. Thank you for protecting the special wildlife by not exercising your dog here.
- Other exciting dog walking routes are available to enjoy in the local area, ask our staff for a map and directions.
- Dogs can die in hot cars, please do not leave your dog in the car when visiting us.
Group booking information
Bringing a flock? We welcome group bookings.
Please notify us of your visit in advance by phoing 01728 648281 or emailing email@example.com.
Schools booking information
For details on our exciting programme of curriculum-linked outdoor education sessions, visit our school trip information.
Your class can enjoy hands-on practical activities within easy walking distance of the well-equipped Discovery Zone and classroom. Each programme is designed to last two hours - sessions run between 10am-12pm and 12.30-2.30pm. Two programmes can be combined to make a whole day visit.
We have two classrooms in the Discovery Centre. These are level throughout with a flexible layout, hearing loop and accessible toilet.
Want to restore precious habitats?
Habitats such as peatland and saltmarsh are vital. They act as carbon sinks, taking it out of the atmosphere, and are very important in the fight against the nature and climate emergency. They're also great for wildlife. If you donate today, you’ll help these valuable habitats thrive.