Full facilities information
No visitor centre.
- There is parking at the pier, and four parking spaces at the Community Centre near the reserve entrance.
- No height restrictions.
- No lighting.
- Nearest toilets, without accessible facilities, are at the ferry waiting room at the pier.
- Open 24 hours.
There are no accessible toilet facilities on Egilsay.
- No catering facilities on island.
- Food outlets on the neighbouring island of Rousay or Evie & Finstown on Mainland Orkney.
No shop on the island.
A variety of birds, especially farmland birds and waders, can be seen from almost anywhere on the roads running through the reserve. A fine view of the reserve and of the surrounding islands can also be had from the Trig Point on the road to Onziebust Farm.
To reach the reserve from the pier, walk up the road to the crossroads at the centre of the island. From this point there are two options:
- One trail of just over a mile (2km) each way from the pier leads straight ahead along an unsurfaced track past the Community Centre, across the centre of the island to the spectacular sandy beach on the eastern shore.
- Alternatively, turn south (right) at the crossroads and continue along the road towards Onziebust Farm. This walk is 1.7 miles (2.7km) each way and offers fantastic views of the reserve.
The RSPB Scotland field teacher uses the Orkney reserves for education visits throughout the year.