Full facilities information
No visitor centre.
- 7 spaces
- Spaces available in unmarked bays at The Loons Hide.
- Spaces available in unmarked bays at The Loons Listening Wall.
- No height restrictions.
- No lighting.
Nearest toilets (without accessible facilities) are at Birsay (4 miles/6.3 km) and Dounby (4.5 miles/7 km). Open 24 hours.
The nearest RADAR scheme accessible toilets are at the Bay of Skaill, 4 miles (6.4km) from the reserve.
Nearest food outlets are at Dounby (4.5 miles/7 km) and Skara Brae (4 miles/6.4 km).
No shop on-site.
No known baby changing facility nearby.
There is seating at The Loons Listening Wall.
- The Loons Hide is at the northern edge of The Loons nature reserve (Grid ref HY24672420).
- The Loons Listening Wall (Grid ref: HY25352455) gives good views of the wetlands.
- Loch of Banks can also be viewed from the A986 south of Twatt. Please pull off the side of the road if stopping.
- There are no nature trails at the reserve.
- This is a sensitive site for breeding birds, so any access onto the marsh during breeding season is likely to cause disturbance.
The RSPB Scotland field teacher in Orkney uses the reserve for education visits throughout the year.