Summary accessibility statement
Before you visit
Please check ahead for suitability for your access needs.
How to get here
The nearest bus stop is in Port Ellen.
Approximately 6 miles (9.6 km) south-west of Port Ellen, Isle of Islay.
Sat nav POI file: If you have a satellite navigation system that can accept POI files, please see our POI page for a download link and instructions.
Visitors can travel to Islay by boat from Kennacraig to Port Askaig or Port Ellen on Islay (contact Caledonian MacBrayne tel: 08705 650000) or by plane from Glasgow.
Access to facilities
Rolled stone surface.
- 0.75 mile (1.2 km) to the American Monument and 1.5 miles (2.5 km) circular walk around the clifftop, via the American Monument.
- Mostly natural and unimproved paths, which can be soft underfoot.
- Short sections of boardwalk across wetter areas.
- Short sections of moderate gradient.
- Benches (without back and arm rests) on circular walk.
- This nature reserve is important for wildlife and is also a working farm.
- RSPB Scotland welcomes responsible access in line with the Scottish Outdoor Access Code.
- Due to the year round presence of livestock, we ask that you please keep dogs on a short lead when following the waymarked trails.
- Away from the trails, we kindly request that you keep your dog walking at heel or on a short lead when near livestock and at all times during the bird breeding season (1 April to 15 August).
- Please clean up after your dog.