Summary accessibility statement
Before you visit
Please check ahead for suitability for your access needs.
How to get here
No car parking available by reserve, access on foot only.
From the pier, follow the road uphill and left until you reach the T-junction at Trumland House, then head right and look for a small bridge and RSPB sign on your left after 600m.
Sat nav POI file: If you have a satellite navigation system that can accept POI files, please see our POI page for a download link and instructions.
Rousay is reached by a roll-on-roll-off ferry from Tingwall on Mainland Orkney, which can take passengers and vehicles. Visit orkneyferries.co.uk for information.
For flights and ferry information to Orkney, contact VisitOrkney at West Castle Street, Kirkwall, KW15 1GU. Website: visitorkney.com Tel: 01856 872856.
Access to facilities
- There is one nature trail, which is rough, uneven, unsurfaced and which has steep inclines. It can also be very wet in the winter.
- One bench halfway up Knitchen Hill.
- This track is marked by white-topped posts. Please follow these for your safety and to minimise disturbance on the reserve.
- This nature reserve is important for wildlife. RSPB Scotland welcomes responsible access, in line with the Scottish Outdoor Access Code.
- During the ground-nesting bird breeding season (1 April to 15 August) we would ask that you keep your dog close to you, preferably on a short lead and please clean up after your dog.