We've only got one planet, so let's look after it. If everyone did something, it would add up to something big!
Litter remains a real problem for our wild places - whether it's the local park, roadside verges, or the hedgerows that line our streets and roads. These places are nature's home. Imagine if someone threw coffee cups, takeaway wrappers and tin cans in your bedroom!
Team up with your family, friends and neighbours and clean up your patch. Many hands make light work and you'll be amazed at the difference you can make (and nature will be eternally grateful). As well as doing it on your own, we've also listed some national campaigns you may want to be a part of.
Are you doing this activity as part of your ild Challenge? Take a look at your progress and go for gold!
Did you know: about 2.25 million pieces of litter are dropped in UK streets every year!
What you will need
Here are some litter picking essentials:
- Thick gardening or work gloves
- High-visibility vests (if you wear one on your bike, that will do nicely)
- A litter-picker - this isn't essential, but very handy if you can get one.
Your local council may provide equipment if you're cleaning up their spaces so do get in touch with them.
- Decide where you'd like to clean up and then make sure you have the owner's permission to do so (most people will be delighted that you want to help but always check first). Think about how safe it will be for you to do the litter pick there.
- Then, decide a date and time and then recruit your team – it might be just your family (adult supervision required) or maybe something others in your community could get involved with too!
- Make sure you are wearing the gloves and always wash your hands properly when you are finished (and if you have a break for a drink or snack).
- Don’t pick up anything that could hurt you (eg broken glass – contact your local council who should have a team that can deal with this if it’s on their land).
- Don't forget to tell us when you have completed the activity! When you mark the activity as complete, you will be asked to upload a photo or a description of your experience to help earn your award.
If you'd like to join a bigger effort to clean up green spaces, here are some options for you to consider:
Completing the activity
Use the 'Mark as complete' button at the top of this page to tell us you've completed your activity. You'll need to show us what you did by uploading a photo or description of your clean up.