Your school grounds provide a home for hundreds of creatures, do you know what they are?
This activity is about finding minibeasts, taking a closer look at them and identifying them.
Are you doing this activity as part of your ild Challenge? Take a look at your progress and go for gold!
What do I need?
- Things to help you see eg magnifying glasses, bugpots, white sheet, pooter
- Cards with pictures of minibeasts to help you identify them.
- Download our free ID sheets (sheet 1) (sheet 2)
- You may want to make some friendly traps to attract minibeasts, or some equipment to catch them in.
- Have a look at our free How To sheets.
What do I do?
- Research the type of habitats a minibeast likes to live in.
- Go into your school grounds - look inside things, under things, in plants and trees.
- Look carefully at what you find, can you identify it?
- Don't forget to tell us when you have completed the activity! When you mark the activity as complete, you will be asked to upload a photo or a piece of writing talking about your experience to help earn your award.
Remember to carefully return any minibeasts carefully to the habitat you found them in.
Completing the activity
Use the 'Mark as complete' button at the top of this page to tell us you've completed your activity. You'll need to show us what you did by uploading a photo or some writing showing where and when you looked for minibeasts, what techniques you used, and what you found.