We've teamed up with Triodos Bank to help you save the UK's peatlands while you save sustainably.
Open a Triodos Bank current account, deposit £100 or more and they'll donate £60 to our vital peatland restoration work.*
Triodos is a different kind of bank. They believe profit doesn't need to be at the expense of the world's most pressing environmental problems - they only lend money to people and organisations which work to make the world a better place.
That's why Triodos finance organisations from organic food and farming businesses and pioneering renewable energy enterprises, to recycling companies and nature conservation projects. *Eligibility, T&C’s and £3 monthly fee apply
* Terms and conditions apply
Why our peatlands are important
- The UK's peatlands are a huge carbon store, locking up more than 3 billion tonnes of carbon in the peat.
- A loss of only 5 per cent of that carbon would equate to the UK's total annual greenhouse gas emissions!
- Peatlands are found at the source of around 70 per cent of the UK's drinking water and damaged peatlands impact on the quality of our drinking water, leading to discolouration and increased treatment costs.
- Our peatlands also provide internationally important habitat for many rare and threatened animals and plants.
- You can experience the diverse wildlife of peatlands on RSPB nature reserves including Forsinard Flows, Dove Stone, Lake Vyrnwy and Geltsdale.
An example of what we can do
Forsinard Flows is part of Scotland's magical Flow Country. Peat has been forming here for thousands of years - more than 400 million tonnes of carbon are stored, protected by a fragile layer of moss.
The landscape stretches for 83 square miles and plays a vital role in the battle against climate change. But it's been damaged by years of commercial tree planting. Vast areas of the bog were drained to plant trees. As the trees grew, the peat was dried out, releasing carbon. The tree canopy starved bog plants of life-giving sun and nutrients.
The donations we receive from Triodos will enable us to deliver practical restoration at sites such as Forsinard Flows, felling and removing the damaging plantation blocks and restoring this ancient peatland landscape.
How you can help
Triodos Bank is helping us give peatland wildlife a home. Open a Triodos Bank Current Account, deposit £100 or more and they'll donate £60 to our vital peatland restoration work. Eligibility, T&C’s and £3 monthly fee apply.