Discover how people and nature are thriving on the pioneering Kingsbrook housing development.
Barratt Developments PLC
Barratt Developments PLC and the RSPB are working together to show how new homes and communities can help nature and support wildlife.
Building a better future
Since the partnership began in 2014, we have worked together on a number of developments and initiatives that showcase the benefits of nature-friendly housing and demonstrate how people and wildlife can live side by side.
For instance, we have created landscaping and gardening guides, developed an innovative swift brick, created a wildlife-friendly show garden accreditation and also collaborated at the flagship, nature-friendly Kingsbrook housing development in Aylesbury.
Through a new project called ‘Nature on your Doorstep’ we’re also working together to help everyone create wonderful outdoor spaces that are perfect for people and wildlife.
Nature on Your Doorstep
We're also working together to help people create their own wildlife friendly outdoor spaces through an exciting project called Nature on Your Doorstep. It's designed to inspire and help with expert advice and videos to show people how to enhance their outdoor spaces and look after nature.
An award-winning partnership
Our work together is a compelling showcase for the wider housebuilding industry to protect and provide for nature within developments. It includes:
- Providing advice on several larger scale development designs to increase their value for nature
- For example, the Kingsbrook Development; is a major collaboration with Buckinghamshire Council (formerly Aylesbury Vale District Council) where 2,450 homes are being built with nature in mind, with initiatives from hedgehog highways, bee-friendly planting and bat boxes to greenspace and orchards
- An innovative, award-winning swift brickto provide these iconic birds with nesting sites in new homes across 10 key cities and beyond
- Maximising opportunities for political advocacy and engagement, such as MP visits to Kingsbrook and Kerry McCarthy MP (swift champion) launching Barratt Swift Cities in her Bristol East constituency
- Barratt sponsorship of Nature on your Doorstep project, enabling the RSPB to create a digital experience with inspirational articles, top tips and videos, that will inspire people to help nature where they live. This includes a gardening guide especially for balconies and small spaces.
- Developing expert garden guides to help Barratt staff to design wildlife-friendly show gardens (Barratt have a commitment to ensure all show home gardens are minimum bronze RSPB accredited) and also show home-buyers how to bring their own gardens to life
- Influencing the wider housebuilding sector including the co-production of an industry-wide guide on green infrastructure with the National House-Building Council. Together, we have engaged with landscapers and other professionals through attending and presenting at conferences
- Barratt staff also get involved by taking part in RSPB volunteering days, such as a team litter picking event for 30 staff at our Rainham Marshes Reserve
- Our collaboration has won numerous awards including the What House silver award for best partnership scheme, a BIG biodiversity challenge award for showhome designs, a Corporate Engagement award for best sustainable programme and a prestigious RSPCA animal hero award.
A success story
The partnership with the RSPB supports Barratt Developments PLC's sustainable business practices and their vision to become the leading sustainable housebuilder in the UK.
“Our partnership with the RSPB has been a resounding success. Since 2014 the partnership has made great progress supporting wildlife on new housing developments. Being a corporate partner with the RSPB helps us as a business. Our customers like it, we like it and by both working together, we try to support nature by giving it a home.”
Jeremy Hipkiss, Group Sales and Marketing Director at Barratt Developments PLC