Barratt Developments PLC
An award-winning partnership with Barratt Developments PLC to give nature a home on new housing developments.
Since 2014 Barratt Developments PLC and the RSPB have been working together to show how new homes and communities can help nature and support wildlife…
For instance, by sharing our knowledge and skills we have created landscaping and gardening guides, developed an innovative swift brick and accredited wildlife-friendly show gardens at many sites, such as the flagship Kingsbrook development in Aylesbury, showing that people and wildlife can live side by side.
We’re also working together to develop resources that support communities to help nature thrive in their gardens and balconies.
The partnership supports Barratt Developments PLC's sustainable business practices and their vision to become the leading sustainable housebuilder in the UK. It is also a compelling showcase for the wider housebuilding industry to protect and provide for nature within developments.
Making a difference
Our work together so far includes:
- Providing advice on several larger scale development designs to increase their value for nature.
- For example, the Kingsbrook Development; is a major collaboration with Buckinghamshire Council (formerly Aylesbury Vale District Council) where 2,450 homes are being built with nature in mind, with initiatives from hedgehog highways, bee-friendly planting and bat boxes to greenspace and orchards.
- An innovative, award-winning swift brickto provide these iconic birds with nesting sites in new homes across 10 key cities and beyond.
- Maximising opportunities for political advocacy and engagement, such as MP visits to Kingsbrook and Kerry McCarthy MP (swift champion) launching Barratt Swift Cities in her Bristol East constituency.
- Sponsorship and development of resources that support communities to help nature on their doorstep, in their gardens and balconies.
- For example, our expert garden guides help Barratt staff to design wildlife-friendly show gardens (Barratt have a commitment to ensure all show home gardens are minimum bronze RSPB accredited) and also show home-buyers how to bring their own gardens to life. We have also developed a gardening guide especially for balconies and small spaces.
- Influencing the wider housebuilding sector including the co-production of an industry-wide guide on green infrastructure with the National House-Building Council and an article on swift nest brick provision in the Bulletin of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management. Together, we have engaged with landscapers and other professionals through attending and presenting at conferences.
- Barratt staff also get involved by taking part in RSPB volunteering days, such as a team litter picking event for 30 staff at our Rainham Marshes Reserve.
- Our collaboration has won numerous awards including the What House silver award for best partnership scheme, a BIG biodiversity challenge award for showhome designs, a Corporate Engagement award for best sustainable programme and a prestigious RSPCA animal hero award.
“Our partnership with the RSPB has been a resounding success. Since 2014 the partnership has made great progress supporting wildlife on new housing developments. Being a corporate partner with the RSPB helps us as a business. Our customers like it, we like it and by both working together, we try to support nature by giving it a home.”
Jeremy Hipkiss, Group Sales and Marketing Director at Barratt Developments PL