Since 2008 I have overseen the RSPB's UK marine research programme and work with a fantastic team of scientists, policy colleagues and regional staff to provide the scientific evidence to address seabird conservation problems, identifying causes of population decline, and their potential solutions.
Our work enables our policy and regional colleagues to advocate for, and implement, action to address seabird conservation concerns. We manage a large programme of seabird tracking to identify marine areas that are important for seabirds and assess potential marine threats.
We also work closely with the Seabird Island Restoration team to identify locations and management actions that will improve conditions for nesting seabirds. We make full use of the latest gadgets, such as miniature tracking tags and thermal cameras.
- 2010 to present: Director, Fair Isle Bird Observatory, and Chair of the Science Committee
- 2020 to present: Advisory Panel of "Birds on the Brink" conservation charity (https://www.birdsonthebrink.co.uk/)
- Peer reviewer for a large number of international scientific journals
Partners and Collaboration
- Professor Pat Monaghan, Glasgow University
- Dr Jonathan Green, Liverpool University
- Dr Francis Daunt, CEH UK
- Dr Rob Thomas, Cardiff University
- Professor Vicki Friesen, Queens University, Canada
- Dr Norman Ratcliffe, British Antarctic Survey
- Dr Ollie Paget, Oxford University
- Dr Matt Wood, Gloucestershire University
- Dr Ewan Wakefield, Glasgow University
- Dr Veronica Neves, University of Azores
- Dr Chris Redfern, Newcastle University